FZJ front axle versus FJ swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tripleplate.com
Hey guys, quick question. I'm looking to order a used front axle for my '92 FJ80. I've found a company that stocks both locked and unlocked used axles and the difference between the two is $250. My '92 is currently open diffed front and rear. From what I understand the front axles are interchangeable between FJ and FZJ's with the stock gearing. For my needs I don't NEED to be locked but it would in fact be nice. My question really comes down to... Is there an issue with running a front axle with a diff lock and not wiring it up/using it till I can swap out my rear axle? I could realistically see doing the rear axle sometime in the summer. Just looking for any reasons why I can't, or shouldn't do this. thanks in advance

none what so ever, just be sure it's unlocked prior to install.

The only possible issue is that you should lock one when doing an axle service so the collar doesn't shift out of place. The FSM only talks about this when removing the diff but I think it applies to just removing the axles as well.

The calipers, rotoes, knuckles and arms are all different between the 2 with the FZJ axle being the more common.

Rig up a red neck locker switch, throw a lunchbox in the back end and you are all set

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom