FZJ 80 Questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is the deal. i am in the process of buying a 97 80 series. The body is in good shape and it seems to be in good mechanical shape. My plan is to pull the drivetrain and swap in a 4bd1-t Isuzu diesel with a 4l80 tranny. The question i have is about the transfer case. I was thinking of going with the splitcase with the large shaft in it but another guy i talked to said i should stick with the Transfer case i have on it. I would rather have the option for two wheel drive. What i am wondering is how is the strength of the split case compared to the newer case on the 80. Stronger? Weaker? I plan on putting a crawl box or doubler kit of some kind on it also. Any tips would be nice

Space limitations due to the offset axle and fuel tank placement....

So will the split case not work because the gas tank is in the way. I was also wondering about the possibility of putting a transfer case in from an earlier 80 series that can be converted to two wheel drive. Are these pretty much the same as far as linkage and stuff goes compared to the newer transfer case.

Space limitations due to the offset axle and fuel tank placement....

This is more in reference to your doubler idea.

I don't know which would be stronger the existing T case or a split but either should work as far a drive line placements. There are lower gears available for the split case and the new case too, I think. But cost lots.

You need to keep the overall drive train length as close to stock as possible, or modify the fuel tank.

... I was also wondering about the possibility of putting a transfer case in from an earlier 80 series that can be converted to two wheel drive. Are these pretty much the same as far as linkage and stuff goes compared to the newer transfer case.

All the US-spec 80s have essentially the same full time 4wd transfer case. The 93s-97s have a viscous coupler bolted onto them, 91s-92s do not. There is a kit available that will convert it to part-time 4wd.

Try the "sticky" links at the top of the 80 series section for more basic info about the 80s. There is one link for a buyer's guide, and another for the 80 FAQ.

Subscribing (diesel conversion sounds cool!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom