FYI: '95-'97 stock front bumpers are not directly compatible w/ '94 frame...

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Arya Ebrahimi, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Arya Ebrahimi

Arya Ebrahimi

:mad:

What a night.

Set out to do what I thought was going to be an easy swap.

I mean how hard can it be? The brackets look the same, there's a total of 4 bolts, easy money, right?.....WRONG!

The brackets look the same, but they're not. The hole spacing on the newer bumpers are slightly farther apart than the older bumpers and this prevents two of the bolts(one on each side) from falling in its hole.

No problem I think, I'll just swap the brackets from one bumper to the other, after all they wouldn't actually go to all the trouble of changing the bolt layouts on the bumpers too.....WRONG!

After breaking half the bolts on my "new" bumper removing the brackets (can't really complain since the bumper was free...thanks Bryan!) I got one of the old brackets to fit with a little massaging from the 3lb sledge. After the last bolt on the "new" bumper wouldn't let go and I ended up having to hacksaw/heat/boltcutter it off, I gave up. I'll massage the other bracket tomorrow and hopefully it'll all fit.

Of course during this entire process I can't help but stare at the bare slate that is the two frame rails sticking out past the body and thinking about the fact that I have a good bit of steel, a welder, and a 3 day weekend coming up......hmmm.

Ary

2. Lars

Lars

If you are still torn down and have the oppurtunity, can you measure outside frame rail to outside frame rail for me. Thanks.

3. Arya Ebrahimi

Arya Ebrahimi

I will try to remember to bring home a tape measure and grab that measurement for you tomorrow afternoon.

4. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

you can have the bumper from my '91 if you want --

:D

e

5. JerryLX450

JerryLX450

Ary- Hmm... well if you can, would you take a pic and post it share with us?

6. Tools R Us

Tools R Us

Lars, the outside of the frame rails are 30" the inside is 25 1/2" the rails are 4 1/4" tall and 2 1/4" wide.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.