What a night.
Set out to do what I thought was going to be an easy swap.
I mean how hard can it be? The brackets look the same, there's a total of 4 bolts, easy money, right?.....WRONG!
The brackets look the same, but they're not. The hole spacing on the newer bumpers are slightly farther apart than the older bumpers and this prevents two of the bolts(one on each side) from falling in its hole.
No problem I think, I'll just swap the brackets from one bumper to the other, after all they wouldn't actually go to all the trouble of changing the bolt layouts on the bumpers too.....WRONG!
After breaking half the bolts on my "new" bumper removing the brackets (can't really complain since the bumper was free...thanks Bryan!) I got one of the old brackets to fit with a little massaging from the 3lb sledge. After the last bolt on the "new" bumper wouldn't let go and I ended up having to hacksaw/heat/boltcutter it off, I gave up. I'll massage the other bracket tomorrow and hopefully it'll all fit.
Of course during this entire process I can't help but stare at the bare slate that is the two frame rails sticking out past the body and thinking about the fact that I have a good bit of steel, a welder, and a 3 day weekend coming up......hmmm.