fxxx. My dog died. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thursday was officially the worst day of my life. We lost Jack - our best friend, our first kid, the greatest Australian Shepard that ever lived. He was only 10 1/2. It's been 4 days and I still can't think about it without getting misty.

I got him when I was still in college. He was 6 weeks old when I picked him up, and he slept on my leg the whole way up to school.

JackDerks.jpg

From then on, he went everywhere with me. Rugby games, class, the bars, everywhere. I still run into people from school and their first question is "How's Jack?". That's the kind of dog he was.

He had his annual checkup last Wednesday. Everything was fine and clear, including his bloodwork. He was in amazing shape for a 10 year old dog. Thursday morning he was fine, he went outside at his usual 8:30 to chill on the lawn. Around 10, I looked out my office window and he was standing on the deck, just staring at the ground. Something was wrong. I opened the back door and he came shuffling inside slowly, lay down, and closed his eyes. Something was seriously wrong.

I carried him to the cruiser, and layed him gently in the back seat, and took off for my vet. They started checking him out - body temp was low, about 95. They were having trouble getting a blood sample, and his abdomen was distended. X-rays showed fluid around his heart. He was slowly fading I could tell.

Back in the cruiser he went, along with the vet and my sister, who used to work as a vet tech, to make the 12 mile trip to the emerency vet clinic. We made it in 9 minutes, I have never driven so fast in my life. I pull up on the curb and rush him in. As the nurse takes him from me, I kiss his face and tell him I love him. He weakly licks my face in reply. That's the last time I see my buddy alive.

My wife shows up and we soon realizes how serious the situation is. The vet comes out and says Jack coded as he came in. He somehow had the strength to fight his way back. As they tried to drain the fluid from his heart, he kept coding. He fought back for 30 minutes, coding 5 times in all. But it was too much for him, and he slowly faded away. Jack died at 1:53pm.

Hemangio Sarcoma. Cancer of the blood. That's what took my friend. Essentially, it's an extremely agressive form of cancer which is blood-born and attacks the liver, spleen and heart. It had caused a tumor on his heart which ruptured and caused fluid buildup in the sack surrounding the heart. It continued to build pressure on the heart, until the heart couldn't pump anymore. The vet said the tumor grows so fast that even an MRI a week ago wouldn't have detected it. No way to detect it, no way to cure it. Fxxxing cancer.

The one thing I am thankful for is that he didn't suffer. I only wish he could have passed away at home, surrounded by those who loved him, instead of a bunch of people sticking tubes everywhere.

Here's to you buddy. :beer: We still can't believe you're gone. We'll miss you, you will always be in our hearts. If there is a heaven, I'm sure you're there - catching frisbees, chasing rabbits, and sleeping in the shade of a tree.

PICT0009.jpg

Sorry for your loss..
Been there....

Sorry for your loss. I know how hard that is to go through. The pain will eventually be replaced with good memories.

Man I'm sorry to hear that.

It sounds like he lived a wonderful life.

I have no doubt he loved you very much and he knew you felt the same way.

Even though he is not there he will ALWAYS be with you....when you think about him and when you remember times you shared... he is with you.

I have seen many painful cases when dogs die slowly and painfully and alone.

If he had to go, the way he did was the best. No pain, no painful decisions of whether or not to put him to sleep. Had you not taken him to the vet you would have always wondered if you could have saved him.

You did all you could and you were blessed enough to tell him you loved him before he passed.

:frown:

Sucks dude. Where's that Rainbow Bridge essay when you need it?

My condolences. Sorry for your loss.

Thanks for the thoughts guys, it is slowly getting better.

Spook - funny you mention it, I found that a few years ago and kept it "just in case":

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

I hate that damn fxxxing rainbow bridge poem. Makes me cry every time I read it and my dog's still kicking.

My condolences on your loss.

I'm also sorry to hear that. It is extremely sad to hear of your loss.

As mentioned earlier, it sounds like he had a good life.

Condolences to you and your family.

And a :beer: or three for Jack!

sorry to hear that man. really sucks losing pets. people ask me why do things like feed my dog people food, take him everywhere i go, let him lick my face or sleep on my bed. for the small time they are a part of my life, i want the best life for them. thanks for the poem. RIP Jack!

(Lump in throat)Sorry for your loss.

damn

that sucks.

I went through the same about a year and a half ago. My new dog is cool, but won't ever replace the old one. I don't think I will ever find one to replace him. It was the same way, got him in college, took him everywhere. Friends who I haven't seen in a while still ask about him.

sorry for your loss...i lost an airdale years ago...felt like someone knocked the wind out of me....time heals all wounds...

osagecruiser

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom