Future of Toyota's infotainment system (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I see merit in staying with an open source system. It means they can independently develop exactly what a specific vehicle requires without having to jump through hoops and restrictions that companies like Apple are notorious for (or applauded for). When it comes to the Land Cruiser...just think of how many systems end up using the central system. I NEVER use the navigation on my Cruiser...but I sure do use the screen for other important systems like AC, heat, and various other controls. If Toyota was able to adapt software for each vehicle without Apple's approval...they could release improvements not only to maps, but also to control of other vehicle systems. I use many Apple products mostly happily, BUT...in terms of technical CONTROL? Apple drives companies crazy, and I expect they would dive automakers crazy too.

Luckily, with two HUGE industry leaders shirking pressure from Apple and Google...Ford and Toyota make certain the system won't be just some nitch in the market.

IMO, they should simply go with Apple and Google. The automakers can't do UIs as well as Apple and Google. They can't do cloud-based systems as well as Apple and Google.

You may have a thing or bias against Apple but look what happens when car companies go alone like that fiasco with jeep being able to be controlled from a laptop! The technology just changed way to fast for them to get into pipe line and into models; look how behind Toyota is with those screens for the back seat passengers! The problem for USA buyers is that all our techno stuff is years away for other countries

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom