1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future of power boats???

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Cookiemonster, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Cookiemonster

Cookiemonster

2. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    Seems like it spent more time in the water than on it. Outriggers are always good for balance but I wonder how the cornering would be?

3. swank60

swank60

It looks like the biodiesel boat that's making a trip around the world out of New Zealand called "Earthrace." There's a crew of 8 or so and they're going non-stop to promote biodiesel. http://www.cld.co.nz/earthrace.htm

The hull, as the guy in this video mentions, is designed to pierce waves - just run right through them. I could see this being the future of ocen going watercraft, but on the lake and for weekenders, they're going to want open boats - unless they could combine the designs - have part of the deck for sunning and hanging out, and then the rest of it covered. That could be cool.

It'd be a great way to modify tankers and commercial ocean going stuff.

4. yooper

yooper SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
  5. Red Herring

Red Herring

Media:
    Albums:
    Space age man. :smokin: :smokin:

Next they'll be sending someone to the moon!

6. FJ40-GARAGE

FJ40-GARAGE I`ll be back....

Media:
    Albums:
    Or build some for the Navy............

[​IMG]

7. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    I almost took a picture of that exact boat the other day. It is currently moored next to the U.S. Naval Maritime Museum berthing near Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. The boat is moored between the SS Jeremiah O'Brien Liberty Ship, and the USS Pampanito WWII Diesel Submarine pier, and the Hyde Street Pier which is owned by the U.S. Naval Maritime Museum Trust.

I was going to take the picture to post it up on Thursday, but seeing as how I have an eye for beautiful hulls and fine fairing, I decided that a butt ugly atrocity like that Earth Race boat didn't deserve to be photographed. It looks somewhat cool under way, but it is dag nasty looking in berth. It looks like a carnival ride caricature as everything is overexaggerated and space age. Sorry, I am more of a classic boat fan.... ;)

This is more along the lines of what I consider worth photographing... ;)

William Fife's "Moonbeam". It's been called by many, "The most beautiful boat design in the world." The Fife yard produced 4 hulls on this design for Charles Plumtre Johnson between 1893-1920. This one is pictured racing around Kawau Island in New Zealand’s Hauraki Gulf. Many of these hulls are still racing today. They are certainly a fair bit more attractive than the Earth Race... :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. yooper

yooper SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    That IS a pretty boat. Looks hard to rig though with that double mainsail thingy...

9. 60wag

60wag SILVER Star

The tri-hull thing looks kinda cool but I doubt it would work with sails. Good boats ought to have sails. I would give my left land cruiser to be able to spend some time on Moonbeam.

10. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    You haven't seen anything until you go below decks on the Moonbeam IV. It's almost unbelieveable that you could ever have such a sweet interior on a racing boat.

You can charter the boat equipped with a professional crew, or you can purchase the boat. It's available for sale, 3.5 mil USD. Where is that spare 3.5 mil when I need it! :doh:

She's currently laid up in the South of France / West Med.

Saloon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Master Stateroom

[​IMG]

Head / Bathroom

[​IMG]

Moonbeam IV is the largest of the 4 hulls laid by Fife, and she continues to be the largest sailing gaff-rigged schooner in the world.

[​IMG]

She does have a sweet looking rear end. ;)

[​IMG]

11. yooper

yooper SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    What makes a schooner? I thought schooners had multiple masts...

2 masted:

[​IMG]

3 masted:

[​IMG]

12. yooper

yooper SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I've always like this H. H. Payson schooner. It looks fast!

[​IMG]

13. Gold Boy

Gold Boy

Sailboats are very, very cool!
    :cool:

14. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    Schooners typically have 2 masts it is true, but the early ships without square sails were typically gaff rigged topsail mainmasts with a shorter foremast. The fact that Moonbeam and her sister ships had a typical single "sloop" type mast setup was irrelevant as the mainsail was topped with a topsail gaff-rig on the upper mainmast; with the foot of the sail on the gaff and the luff on the topmast. This particular rigging configuration of multiple sails on a single main qualified it to be considered a schooner.

The advantage of the gaff-rig is that you can sail a huge amount of sail with a relatively small crew as compared to the additional sheets and sails that are required with a comparably sized sail pattern on a boat with mutiple masts.

Your boat type will be determined by the sail pattern and rigging you are using. These are all different mast and sail patterns:

Bark | Barque | Barquentine | Bermuda rig | Bilander | Brig | Brigantine | Caravel | Carrack | Catamaran | Catboat | Clipper | Dutch Clipper | Cog | Corvette | Cutter | Dhow | Fifie | Fluyt | Fore & Aft Rig | Frigate | Full Rigged Ship | Gaff Rig | Galleon | Gunter Rig | Hermaphrodite Brig | Junk | Ketch | Mersey Flat | Multihull | Nao | Norfolk Wherry | Pink | Pocket Cruiser | Polacca | Pram | Proa | Schooner | Ship of the Line | Sloop | Smack | Snow | Square Rig | Thames Sailing Barge | Trimaran | Wherry | Windjammer | Windsurfer | Xebec | Yacht | Yawl

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">