Future Land Cruiser directions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I test drove the GX three times. I really disliked it. Visibility out the back is very poor, due to the thick D-pillars, the generally higher belt-line, and the very thick window surrounds on the rear window.

You either like the barn door or you hate it. I hate it.

The third-row seats in the GX fold "flat" into the floor. In reality, what Lexus did was to raise the rear floor about 5 inches. So when you open the rear door, you will see that the floor is about 5" above the sill of the rear door. This takes up a huge amount of cargo space. If you fold the 2nd and 3rd row of the GX, you get only 60 cu ft of cargo space. In contrast, for the LC you get 80 cu ft. The GX is the right size overall for me, if only it was available without the third row. But it isn't.

The 4Runner is the right size for me and it has 80 cu ft of cargo space (without a 3rd row), but the drivetrain on the 5th gen 4Runner is just horrid IMO. It is also a much less refined vehicle overall (I test drove a 2015 Limited trim several times). Also, you have a Hobson's choice of either accepting a part-time 4WD system and good off-road ability (TRD Off-Road trim) or get the Limited with the proper Torsen lockable center-diff (just like the LC), but have less off-road ability with poorer angles and those stupid 20" wheels. Sigh.

One thing that I hate about the GX is that the rear side panels are molded to fit flush with the folded third row. So it would look like crap if you pulled out the third row.

Finally, I found the drivers seats on the GX to be very uncomfortable. It felt like there was a hard rim around the outside edge of the seat bottom that dug into my thighs.

After test driving the GX 3 times, I test drove a used, 2-year-old LC. Within 10 minutes I knew that I liked the LC much, much better than the GX. YMMV.
To each their own. My LX was in the shop for just over a a month back in 2015 due to dealer service error they fixed. Anyway I had a GX loaner the entire time. It was great! More responsive, sporty, The “just right” size, Easier to off road (I did take it sheep hunting and on the beach), and drive. I like my LX but For me if I didn’t have a 6800lb camper I’d take a GX over my LX all day.

Yeah, if I didn't have three kids and a dog I'd most likely be driving a GX too. Just not enough space. In fact the 200 is too tight.

I'm glad I got my 2020 LC

To each their own. My LX was in the shop for just over a a month back in 2015 due to dealer service error they fixed. Anyway I had a GX loaner the entire time. It was great! More responsive, sporty, The “just right” size, Easier to off road (I did take it sheep hunting and on the beach), and drive. I like my LX but For me if I didn’t have a 6800lb camper I’d take a GX over my LX all day.
We rent a house on Martha’s Vineyard for two weeks each year. On the way down, we pack the truck up. With the 70 cu ft of cargo space in my 4Runner, I needed a roof top cargo box. With 80 cu ft in the LC I don’t. The 60 cu ft in the GX would mean a lot of stuff left at home.

The exterior size of the 4Runner/GX is perfect. The interior size of the 4Runner 2-row is perfect. The interior size of the 3-row GX sucks.

Last edited:
3rd seat delete option on a GX doesn't look too bad to me personally...
1582324249613.png

Just rented a new 4 door Jeep for the week to drive around ClearWater Fl.
Don't even put this vehicle in the same class as the LC/LX. Plz.No.

Just rented a new 4 door Jeep for the week to drive around ClearWater Fl.
Don't even put this vehicle in the same class as the LC/LX. Plz.No.
I did the same (Jeep rental), and agree. I don't know how anyone would even consider them as competitors. And I don't mean that as Jeep bashing, at all. They are just a completely different kind of vehicle (ergonomics, handling, acceleration, usable space, quality of materials, etc.). I'm sure they are awesome off-road, but on-road, they completely different than any modern land cruiser.

A Sequoia is probably just as comfortable as a 200. So if the big cruiser is axed you still have options.
Unfortunately it is made in America and there are significant differences between the Japanese and American made Toyotas. I have had (2) Tundras, (2) Sequoias and (3) Land Cruisers (still have a 2002 and 2018) and there is nothing to compare. The Land Cruiser is vastly superior in just about every way in terms of build quality, durability and the little things like the quality of the interior components.

I agree. Sounds like the next LC will be signifcantly less than $90k and the LX may go over $100k? Would be a smart move, further differentiating the LC from the LX.
As for the price many of the LX's are in the $100K range at the local dealer and the LC's are all about the same at $85K unless you get the Blizzard Pearl or the Rear Entertainment System. I don't see Toyota cheapening out on the LC as it would not make any sense. They tried that with FJ Cruiser experiment and it went nowhere. Significantly better marketing would help sell the LC's and get people out of the Land Rover lineup.

I don’t understand why toyota doesn’t spend even a little bit marketing the thing... everyone compares it to a Range Rover or a Tahoe family hauler... It’s not advertised as a serious off reader. Many people get confused when looking at a Land Cruiser and a Seqouia they don’t even know what the difference is. I often here sales people when I’m in for service saying something like “the land cruiser is for people who think the sequoia is to big” customer “so why does it cost so much more?” Sales person “it’s for people who want to drive a car that has the land cruiser name badge it’s a status thing I think” customer “that seems like a waste of money” salesperson “yeah I don’t understand it either that’s why we don’t sale so many of these”

I’m over here like 🤦🏻‍♂️

I even went to the dealership once “can you repack my front bearings and change my AHC fluid on my 2007 land cruiser... “ service writer “you have sealed bearings and what is AHC?” Me “ Automatic height control” service writer “oh your thinking of the Lexus lx470 land cruisers don’t have that” me 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ I’m going to go over to a land cruiser shop..

How can you sell something that no one even knows what it is...

I test drove the GX three times. I really disliked it. Visibility out the back is very poor, due to the thick D-pillars, the generally higher belt-line, and the very thick window surrounds on the rear window.

You either like the barn door or you hate it. I hate it.

The third-row seats in the GX fold "flat" into the floor. In reality, what Lexus did was to raise the rear floor about 5 inches. So when you open the rear door, you will see that the floor is about 5" above the sill of the rear door. This takes up a huge amount of cargo space. If you fold the 2nd and 3rd row of the GX, you get only 60 cu ft of cargo space. In contrast, for the LC you get 80 cu ft. The GX is the right size overall for me, if only it was available without the third row. But it isn't.

The 4Runner is the right size for me and it has 80 cu ft of cargo space (without a 3rd row), but the drivetrain on the 5th gen 4Runner is just horrid IMO. It is also a much less refined vehicle overall (I test drove a 2015 Limited trim several times). Also, you have a Hobson's choice of either accepting a part-time 4WD system and good off-road ability (TRD Off-Road trim) or get the Limited with the proper Torsen lockable center-diff (just like the LC), but have less off-road ability with poorer angles and those stupid 20" wheels. Sigh.

One thing that I hate about the GX is that the rear side panels are molded to fit flush with the folded third row. So it would look like crap if you pulled out the third row.

Finally, I found the drivers seats on the GX to be very uncomfortable. It felt like there was a hard rim around the outside edge of the seat bottom that dug into my thighs.

After test driving the GX 3 times, I test drove a used, 2-year-old LC. Within 10 minutes I knew that I liked the LC much, much better than the GX. YMMV.
"The 4Runner is the right size for me and it has 80 cu ft of cargo space (without a 3rd row), but the drivetrain on the 5th gen 4Runner is just horrid IMO."

Agree 100%. My ex has a 2017 Off Road and while it's great offroad the ancient 5 speed and anemic engine make for a truly terrible combination, esp on hills/passes. My 2013 LX is light years ahead in engine/trans, not so much in cup holders and storage though. I think Toyota's strategy is to force folks to Lexus if they want an 8cycl and more than 5 gears

But Toyota sells an boat-load of 4Runners every year so I don't see them spending a dime to improve, esp. not when folks are forking out 50K for a TRD Pro version.

Last edited:
They tried that with FJ Cruiser experiment and it went nowhere.

My understanding was the FJC sold well and cut into more profitable 4Runner sales, which is why it was axed.

Wait, you are being sarcastic, right?
Not at all. This is pretty close to an exact match of what rumors are for the 300, minus the unibody. As someone who really overlands, the 110 checks all the right boxes except for possibly reliability and definitely parts availability. But the specs are spot on.

My local Toyota dealer told me that the LC is dead after this run--Toyota will bring the 2022 Lexus 570 but no LC-- later should bring in the Canadian Prado, a more stripped down Jeep like off roader...FWIW

My local Toyota dealer told me that the LC is dead after this run--Toyota will bring the 2022 Lexus 570 but no LC-- later should bring in the Canadian Prado, a more stripped down Jeep like off roader...FWIW
What is a Canadian Prado?

What is a Canadian Prado?

Prado = smaller cheaper landcruiser version. In the US the 4Runner and Lexus GX are based on that platform.

So not sure what they’d gain by bringing another prado variant here.

I’m confused because we don’t have Prados here. Why would it be described as Canadian? And we don’t have any stripped down 4Runners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom