Funky Chicken (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, being cheap has it's draw backs.

After cleaning out the garage the other day I found a 3/4 empty old diesel fuel tank. Since I needed to drain it to throw it away I decided to put the fuel into my cruiser.

Well, not too many km's later my cruiser is doing the funky chincken with a sparatic idle and stalling a lot.

After reading Adam R's post I figured that my 1.5 year old fuel tank was not sealed very well and had water in with the diesel. Adam mentioned the fuel filter will swell with water and restrict the fuel flow.

Could water in the fuel filter in the HDJ-81 cause the surging, idle issues, and stalling?

Clean

Haven't heard of cleaning parts. This would be the perfect cleaner for diesel engines. I am going to rush right out and try this.

Yes.... and any other **** that might have been growing in there.

I save old diesel to light fires and clean parts.

X2, no X2,000,000 ! Old diesel that has had moisture in it is a breeding ground for microbes which live on the oil/water interface. They breed, crap and die and all that gunk winds up contaminating your fuel system and plugging up your filters, hence the stuttering funky chicken.
Now you need to drain your entire system, change out the filters, get rid of the contaminated fuel, flush it out, get rid of that fuel and add fresh diesel treated with a good biocide (like BioBor) to a kill dose, also be prepared to change your fuel filter a few times until all the bugs are out.
Sorry. It's a PITA job, just be thankful you're not on a fishing boat, way offshore, in the winter, doing it....

Last edited:
Haven't heard of cleaning parts. This would be the perfect cleaner for diesel engines. I am going to rush right out and try this.

I hope I am detecting sarcasm here. If not, spraying down an engine with diesel is not a recommended way to degrease and clean it.

Diesel is not good to get on your skin either.

I've heard stories of diesel mechanics who have become so allergic to the stuff that they have had to abandon their career/trade.

:beer:

Diesel is not good to get on your skin either.

I've heard stories of diesel mechanics who have become so allergic to the stuff that they have had to abandon their career/trade.

:beer:

Hello,

According to some sources, diesel is a carcinogen as well. It is beter to be careful with it.

Juan

Yes

Yes, sarcasm noted. I don't spray simple green without a mask.(bad college experience)

I hope I am detecting sarcasm here. If not, spraying down an engine with diesel is not a recommended way to degrease and clean it.

OK, I think I have big problems now.

I drained the tank, changed the fuel filter, added fresh diesel, and added a diesel conditioner. But I still have the problem.

The truck has trouble starting, a surging idle (1500 RPM), and then it dies. It will only run if I pepper the throttle to get it going and pull the choke to keep the revs at 1500.

When I drive it I have whiteish smoke with higher vibration and loss of power. My diesel mechanic thinks I may have air being sucked into the injector pump and to run a clear line into a bucket of diesel to look for bubbles.

I'm feeling that I've done something bad to my injector pump. Any suggestions on things to check?

It looks like it's injector pump rebuild time.

Took it too a diesel truck shop and they found aluminum dust / fine shavings in the over flow chamber. It looks like the pump is siezed and whenit sticks the truck stalls and when it frees up the idle spikes to 1500 RPM.

Now I need to wait for parts for the rebuild. Hopefully the truck purrs like a kitten after the injector / pump rebuild.

When I went to blank off my ACSD, it just started to packed it in, and left shavings in the overflow. If I waited longer the pin would have broken off into the pump, and I would have had to get a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom