1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Funeral crasher

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by PHBeerman, Jul 25, 2005.

1. PHBeerman

PHBeerman

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (AP) -- Written apologies will be sent to the family of a dead Marine who was upset that the lieutenant governor appeared uninvited at his funeral last week, Gov. Ed Rendell said.

Lt. Gov. Catherine Baker Knoll went to the July 19 funeral of Staff Sgt. Joseph Goodrich, passed out her business card and made a remark about the state government being against the war, family members said.

"Whether you're for the war or against the war, to say something like that to a relative of someone who just died in combat was just repulsive," said Goodrich's sister-in-law Rhonda Goodrich.

Rendell, during an appearance in Pittsburgh on Sunday, said written apologies will be sent to the Goodrich family, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported. Rendell said he hadn't spoken to Knoll about what happened.

"It's not the business of state government to support the war, but our state supports the men and women who are fighting this war," Rendell said.

Goodrich, 32, of Westwood, died July 10 in Iraq. His family told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette last week that they felt they were owed an apology by Knoll and didn't understand why she attended the funeral in Carnegie.

"Knoll felt this was an appropriate time to campaign and impose her will on us," Rhonda Goodrich said. "I am amazed and disgusted Knoll finds a Marine funeral a prime place to campaign."

Knoll's spokesman, Sean Pendrak, told The Associated Press on Monday that the lieutenant governor's office would be releasing a statement on the matter later in the day.

2. dieseldog

dieseldog She idles just fine . . .

What a bitch. Pretty stupid move if you ask me. Funerals are not exactly the time for politics of any kind.

3. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

I'll bet she's just a half-step away from kissing her career in politics good-bye.

4. e rock

e rock

I think it's already gone, whether she got a chance to kiss it or not. This kind of dumbass move will NEVER go away. Yesterday, nobody outside of PA (and probably most within) had ever heard of her. Having your first & only nationwide media coverage be anti-military during a time of war? Political Suicide.

Maybe Jane Fonda's looking for a booking agent?

5. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

It was in poor taste.

But I don't think she came off as anti-military in a time of war. I think the intended effect was anti-war in a time of war. Which, when the war is getting less and less popular, like it is now, is a great time to get nationwide coverage.

She just should have found a better venue. Her political advisor who came up with that little gem is prolly already in line 6 at the unemployment office.

Steve

6. PHBeerman

PHBeerman

Wow only a hard-core demotard could defend this action.

7. e rock

e rock

As a member of the ill-informed majority, I beg to differ. I understand that there may be more to the story and I also understand that there will be people who support her actions, but if the liberal press can't even put a good spin on this, I think it's hopeless to think that her spin doctors are going to sway national public opinion. Without making bad press, she doesn't have a big enough sphere of influence to even address everyone that already despises her.

I'm about 3000 miles away - do you think if she held a press conference to explain the whole situation that it would even garner a mention on my local news channel?

Semantics. Either way, to the masses, her name is now indelibly marked as disrespectful to a grieving military family. Stick a fork in her. I hope she's been paying into her 401(k).

8. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

True, but what kind of RWNJ needs to post EVERY time a Dem does something stupid?

Isn't Fox news enough for you?

9. PHBeerman

PHBeerman

We have fox....You have every other media outlet.

If I posted everytime a demotard does something stupid, Barbra Boxer alone would keep me busy 25 hours a day.

10. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

First of all, I'm not a democrat. I used to be a political analyst at the RNC....

Second, I'm not defending it. As you might notice, I said it was in poor taste.

However, I am commenting on the perception that anyone that disagrees with the war in Iraq is branded as some kind of, something -- Hell I don't know what goes through you people's heads half the time...

It was in poor taste. Period. SHe ought to be fired from her job, and if the voters of her state agree, so she shall. But the whole Fonda thing was a little over the top.

Steve

11. Gumby

You've said some silly things in the past, but that's just downright ludicrous.

I'll assume it was just an exaggeration.

12. PHBeerman

PHBeerman

I believe your RNC story about as much as one would believe that I work for the DNC.

I know many Republicans who dislike the current administration. (I personally think they spend way too much) However, I have noticed that you have a hatred that only is held by the most politically polarized Demotards.

I see the fonda reference as spot on.

13. PHBeerman

PHBeerman

Let me guess you're one of these people who believes that Rather is a fair reporter....

14. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

Semantics: The study of the meaning of language? Um, no. More like "blurring" the meaning of language. Anti-war, and anti military are two completly different things. My dad was a marine. He was pro-military. He was also anti-war. Isn't that strange?

Yep, very badly done. I definitely would have advised against it if I had worked for her.

Steve

15. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

Would you like some references?

Steve

16. PHBeerman

PHBeerman

Sure if you feel the need.

17. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

Charles R. Perricone, fmr speaker of the house, Michigan House of Representatives

Dale Shugars, fmr. Senator, Michigan State Senate

Fred Upton: Us COngressman, 6th district Michigan, Heir to the Whirlpool Corporation

John Engler: FOrmer Governor, State of Michigan

Spencer Abraham: Fmr U.S. Senator, Secretary of Energy to the Bush Admin

Jim Gregart: Prosecuting Attorney, Kalamazoo County, Michigan (he prosecuted Tim Allen-- the home improvement guy-- for being a big time coke dealer in Kalamazoo, where he went to college)

I worked with lots of people. Shugars, Perricone and Engler are gone-- term limits. I don't know if they've moved on or not. It's been about 8 years since I was in the biz....

Of course, you'd need my real name, too.....

Steve/

Edit: And who could forget my unoffical honorary mom-- Ronna Romney. She'd be pissed if she knew I left her name off a list of references. (Senate Candidate, 1996. Related to Michigan's famous Governor Romney.)

18. Gumby

Dan Rather? Didn't he retire some time ago?

Yes, DR was pretty fair for the better part of his career. he reported when all kinds of presidents did something wrong. His staff didn't do enough fact checking on one story and you're going to define his entire 30+ year career by it.

In fact, the story was probably spot on, but one piece of evidence that he used was faulty. That little part overshadowed the whole story of a commander-in-chief who was AWOL. The Personal Responsibility president who refuses to admit mistakes.

19. PHBeerman

PHBeerman

Is this the first president who refuses to admit mistakes?

Can you name one who has?

And yes this should be what defines Rathers career. In your mind, what defines Nixon's career? Or Ollie North's? Or G Gordon Liddy? Newt Gingrich?

In the real world people are held accountable for their actions. THis was not a simple mistake. It was a political attack similar to the attack that the right wing media outlets launched on Clinton in the 90's. Neither of them were acceptable in my mind. You will never hear me state that Clinton deserved to be impeached. I see it for what it was, a republican opportunity to politicize the act.

20. crholliday

crholliday Frisbeetarianist

Nixon admitted to errors in judgement during watergate. Reagan admitted to mistakes during Iran/Contra.