Fun times in the car wash (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have known for a long time that my sunroof leaks pretty bar like I am sure everyone else's does. Every once in awhile our local car wash runs promotional things and this time around they are only charging 10 bucks a month for three months for their new wiz bang fancy gotta have it all package. So I signed up for it.. I brought my son along to help me mitigate water intrusion and the following video is the result.. It was really coming in heavy tonight. And yes my drains are clean and functioning.. I am guessing it is the old weather seal not doing its job anymore. I would like to fix this, but I am not sure if it is worth the trouble as it only happens in the drive-through car washes.. When it rains and I do the manual car wash I have no problems.. Anyhow lots of good laughs with the boy tonight making memories in the ol Cruiser.. That's what it is all about.

I can relate!!! So good.

Try this; with one person inside the cabin, other outside with a garden hose, start spraying water on the sunroof and as soon as the person inside sees water dripping inside they push UP on the sunroof glass. If the water deluge slows down and stops then you know the assembly has sagged (it has). So next drive to your local auto parts store or HF and pick up a box of shims and drive back home. Then remove the plastic molding around the sunroof (warning, it will likely break) to reveal the mounting studs and nuts for the glass, remove the nuts and start adding shims on the underside of the glass where the factory shims are located to push the glass upward, replace the nuts and retest with the hose. Moving the glass forward and aft can also make a difference, so there's some trial and error to get it right.

There are also cable dust covers that warp and water can trickle down past the screw holding them in place. Try a sealant under those covers.

Another thing to try is to remove the glass, clean the rubber gasket up well with hot soapy water, then lube the seal with a silicone product designed for rubber (like Syl-Glyde) You can also trying stuffing a ~1/16" thick strip of rubber (cut from an old bicycle tube for example) behind the factory gasket. Idea is to push the gasket out a bit but not too much so the glass will still close.

FWIW

Last edited:
haha my wife and I were headed to a wedding and that happened to us. Not as bad as in this vid but enough to get her dancing around in the passenger seat. lol we laughed pretty good.

Yah same with me only at the car wash. Stopped going and now Ih8mud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom