Full width Chevy axle help leaf help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Putting a spring over Dana 44 up front. Spring pad centers are 32" wide. I cant put the shackle end of my spring below the frame because it throws my caster way off. I cant outboard the mount higher up the side of the frame because the frame width is the same width I have between my springs and their isn't any room for the shackle to swing up alongside the frame. HELP, out of ideas.

You may have to cut and turn your knuckles to correct your caster.

Is there no way to put Chevy axles under an FJ without cutting and turning knuckles? I know its been done. What am I missing? Who's build should I look up guys?

If I cut and turn knuckles, my pinion is still going to be pointed at the ground.

It is the spring over that gets you. Even if you were using Toyota axles you would probably be in the same boat. If you cut and turn your knuckles you can point the pinion anywhere you want. The idea is to set your caster correct and then to angle the pinion in the proper orientation. If using standard u-joints it is different than using say a double cardin.

Any of the threads that discuss doing a SOA will work for you. Your setup will be different but the geometry will be the same.

My spring pad is cast in so regardless of where I set my caster after a cut and turn, my pinion will still be pointed too far down

Most Dana axles have the PS spring pad cast into the diff center section, making it significantly more difficult to do a cut and turn than on a toyota axle.

I put a SOA D60 in the front of my FJ60 without a cut and turn. I've got a tiny bit of wander on the interstates and my intended fix will be caster plates. My build thread is below in my signature, Moonshine.

My problem could lie in the springs im trying to use up front as they have a significant arch to them with no load, (fforward offset pin) causing my spring to point the diff downward. What springs did you use glthfj60? I assume something flatter and shorter than what I tried. I am using a 54" Dodge durango leaf that has a 10" arch to it

My problem could lie in the springs im trying to use up front as they have a significant arch to them with no load, (fforward offset pin) causing my spring to point the diff downward. What springs did you use glthfj60? I assume something flatter and shorter than what I tried. I am using a 54" Dodge durango leaf that has a 10" arch to it

I used more or less flat, stock FJ60 rear springs.

You'll be hard pressed to get things to work with springs that have that much arch in them. That's insane man.

GLTHFJ60 thanks for the advice. Ill see if i can get the caster closer with a flat/shorter spring

You don't necessarily need to get a shorter spring, but flatter would help.

FYI, the FJ60 rear springs in this picture are 48" center pin to center pin:

IMAG1383_BURST002.jpg

If I ran shackles on the front it would be close to fixing the bad angle. I am just worried about a rough ride

Have you considered doing a shackle reversal at the same time That might get you in the ball park as well.

If I ran shackles on the front it would be close to fixing the bad angle. I am just worried about a rough ride

Why are you worried about a rough ride with the shackles up front?

Also, you were going to run springs with a 10" arch and were worried about a rough ride?

Rough ride is more about spring rate and shackle angle than which orientation the spring is in. My ride is nice and smooth IMO.

So right now your shackles are in the rear? That's not the stock method. Shackles in the front is. not that each does not have it's advantages, but a shackle forward can provide the same quality ride as one in the rear of the spring.

Yes, I was trying to put the shackles in the rear and cant get the caster angle close enough. My springs have a 10" arch but arent rated that high so they should flatten out some. Everything I have been able to find on front shackles says the ride is rougher as the tire moves forward so I was trying to avoid bumper mounted shackles

As long as your shackle angle is around 45* it should ride nicely. I have my shackles up front but i haven't been able to drive it yet.
Im also using a Chevy D44.

As long as your shackle angle is around 45* it should ride nicely. I have my shackles up front but i haven't been able to drive it yet.
Im also using a Chevy D44.

45* when fully loaded and on the suspension. If anything, you want to be shy of 45* rather than over 45*. This angle is working extremely well for me:

Front%2520View2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom