Full & Semi Floater thirds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a silly newb question but need some clarification. I realize there is a difference between a full floating and semi-floating rear end but, just not sure how different they are internally.

The reason I am asking...

I put an add in the Wanted section for some 62 4.11 thirds. Received an email from another board member (super honest nice guy who is also researching this very same question, just thought I would double the effort) who has some 4.11s with factory LSD from a 70/75 series. He also clarified that the bolt pattern should fit the 10/85 or later 60s. After a few emails, the question was presented,” Would the thirds function properly taking into account the 70/75 has a full floating rear-end?" Will the thirds still be interchangeable?

I can't be the only one to run across this, just couldn’t find the answer anywhere.

It would be sweet!! if this worked. Would kill 2 birds with one stone for me!!

If I can not do the swap with these thirds, I WILL STILL NEED 62 4.11 THIRDS IF ANYONE HAS SOME!!!

Thanks!:cheers: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Some food for thought: The front axle is a "full float axle" on FJ6x series trucks. The front diff will interchange with the rear diff. You just use the spacer from the rear diff in the front diff as you reassemble it into the rear axle. The rear diff (now without the spacer) will drop right into the front axle without issue.

How all that relates to the factory LSD I don't know as I've never seen one. But I would bet that the LSD would work fine in your semi-float application.

Nick

Waggoner5 said:
I have the same third out of my semi float now in my full float with 0 mods, so that would tell me that they are the same.
Gary

What he said. Only potential problem I see is if the LSD rear end made access to the C clips difficult? Never seen an LSD Toy third, so I have no idea about this...

M

The only Toyota LSD diff units I have seen DO NOT have C-clip access as Mike S detailed... The unit would bolt directly in, but you wouldn't be able to install the clips...

Great info guys... Thank you very much. From the sound of things, it appears it will work... except for the c-clips... Is not installing those a bad things (again... be gentle I'm a noob :) )

Yeah, leaving those out would be a bad thing. A diff designed and intended for the full floating rear does not provide acccess to intsall the C lips. The carrier is stronger because of this. But again, you can't install the C clips. A semi floater HAS to have the C clips in place. That's what keeps the axles in. You'll get a hindred yards or so down the road before you axles come out of the housing if you try to leave them out. It won't work.

You can put a rear, semi floating axle diff in a rear full floating axle. Just not the other way around.

Mark...

Thanks for the info Mark. Bummer it wont work. Does anyone out there have a rear 62 4.11?? :)

dtrain said:
Thanks for the info Mark. Bummer it wont work. Does anyone out there have a rear 62 4.11?? :)

That is pretty easy to find... post in Parts Wanted, and look in Parts for Sale. Either front or rear will work.

M

Maybe I dont need to "look for a rear" just yet....

Can't I just use the LSD rear in the front and then use the front for the rear? Is it bad to have LSD in the front for wheeling, 4WD in the snow, just 4WD, etc.....

My original plan was to have LSD in the rear with a locker in the front. I guess I could just use the LSD in the front and a locker in the rear.. right?

Why Not?

Not sure how well a LSD would work while wheeling. Is it better to have a locker?

Thanks for the info.. really stoked to get these installed!

Also- If I am in just 4WD and do not have the locker engaged in the rear... will the truck react funny? Will it steer funny?

After some discussion in the international section, I plan on running an arb in the rear and the LSD in the front. From the factory the limited slip only transfers something like 20 percent of the power to the other wheel (don't quote these numbers- but should suffice to make the point) but can be shimmed to increase this number significantly. i think this is a great way to go as for typical wheeling a front locker is used much less than the rear. Let me know if you'd rather run 3.73's with the LSD as a trade could be in order :)

david

Iron Giant -
Ahhh... I always like those words... TRADE! :) but..... not in this case :)

I need the 4.11s to gear down with the 33s. The LSD was a benefit and a welcome one at that! I think the new will look like this: 4.11 LSD front and 4.11 ARB rear

I will read a little more about the shims in the international section. What would be your ideal % of power shift for the LSD?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom