Full length, gutter mounted roof rack owners, any corrosion issues? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been looking at the Bowfin specifically, but the Prinsu is mounted similarly.
Do you folks that run these racks take them off periodically and check for corrosion in the gutters?
They look like they would trap leaves and pine needles and moisture.
Or am I being over analytical?

Prinsu on my 80, no corrosion after 3+ years and about 10-12k miles, mostly offroad. It does stay garaged all the time, though so it's not left out in the weather, and this is the Sonoran Desert. Closer to an ocean with sea breezes, left outdoors,... I'd be checking it regularly.

It's enough of a pain to remove all the mounts that it might be worth putting some kind of flexible liner in the channel before you mount it up. Teflon tape or something thick would be enough. Hack, strips of Dynamat cut thin would probably work, too.

I'm putting way too much thought into this...

multiple bowfin racks and no issues. I do use the door edge guard on the bottom of the rack between the truck and rack. I remove occasionally and will blow out all the limbs twigs that get caught up in there from the tight trails.

multiple bowfin racks and no issues. I do use the door edge guard on the bottom of the rack between the truck and rack. I remove occasionally and will blow out all the limbs twigs that get caught up in there from the tight trails.
I assume you are talking about something like this:
Amazon product ASIN B07W6T7M4C
That seems like a pretty good idea.

Patrick sends some with his racks. I don't use the stuff on the air damn but do use it down the sides

3+ years and 75K in with a Bowfin. Used the provided U-channel and no rubbing or corrosion issues.

Got my Prinsu when they first came out. Ran an edge guard down the sides also. Cruiser lives outside, no issues.

Got my Prinsu when they first came out. Ran an edge guard down the sides also. Cruiser lives outside, no issues.
This was on my mind at 0430! About to put the Prinsu on the truck. What did you go with for the guard? Thinking of plastic U channel on the rack or a single-side-stick rubber weather seal to the length of the gutter. Nothing that will retain H2O.

Amazon product ASIN B00M8MAOLI

This was on my mind at 0430! About to put the Prinsu on the truck. What did you go with for the guard? Thinking of plastic U channel on the rack or a single-side-stick rubber weather seal to the length of the gutter. Nothing that will retain H2O.

If your referring to the front deflector, I ran the U-channel under it also. I didn't want any metal rubbing on the paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom