1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full Floating

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by tewlman, Jan 26, 2004.

1. tewlman

tewlman

Does anyone have any experience with the SOR full floating axles? Will my Disk brake conversion work on this axle? Is it really worth the $$?

2. cruzer

cruzer

From everything i have read...it is not worth the money or agervation...keep the SF and when you start gernading it a bunch from big tires and horsepower then switch to D60 or 14 bolt or rockwells.. :D :D In the mean time keep the SF simple, easy, cheap to replace and don't worry about it. If you are doing serous wheeling carry spare axle shafts thats about it.

Stew

3. cruiseroutfit

cruiseroutfit Supporting Vendor Moderator

I think they are worth it... I just bought 7 of em'... zero complaints...

4. tewlman

tewlman

7 axles sounds like a good project for a streched LC limo??

5. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    NOt one from SOR, but I have a 77 FF in the rear of my fj45....it came with it(axle came from Candian 45) but I went thru it fully and added a ARB to it. Would I have gotten a FF if it wasn't already in it? prolly not and if I did I think I would get a 70 series FF(maybe with a cable locker) I think the 70 works under a 40, give you e-brake on axle(nice if you want a H55 or something.

Advantages of FF, axle shaft stays put if broke. Bearings are the same as the front, easier to tear down than a SF, if running and ARB the locker(same as a front) is stronger than a SF ARB. Cool factor :)

Dis-advantages. Parts harder to get, like seals on the early FF(like a 77) axle shafts if broken........don't grow on trees. Expense of FF. Heard of problems with the hub studs shearing off(guessing thats not a good thing) also on mine at least it had huge rear drums(bigger than SF 40) and I had fitment problems with wheels that fit fine on a SF axle. I forget but the older FF might use 2 wheel cylinders per drum.......but maybe not, pretty sure they are not self adjusting.....don't know about latter 40, but 70's are prolly like a 60.

Guess it depends on what your doing with your 40?

I have beat on my 92 fj80 thats is over 7000lbs for 8+ years and never had a rear axle problem.

Like I mentioned I prolly wouldn't spend the $$$ on a FF and if I did it would be way down on my list or if I found one cheap or if I wanted a 70 series FF with cable or E locker or if I wanted a rear axle E brake or a combo of the above.

You really dont hear of alot of Cruisers that have issues with the SF axle.

Don't kmow about the disc, but I would think they wouldn't just swap over, woud need something fabed up. I think MAF has 70 series FF with rear disc.
    http://www.man-a-fre.com/feature_items/fullfloater.htm

that would be the ticket(75 series, rear disc) Spector prolly has the same thing or can get it. Also the dudes up in BC, G and S or something?

6. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    which FF's?

[quote author=cruiseroutfit link=board=1;threadid=10667;start=msg95787#msg95787 date=1075175355]
    I think they are worth it... I just bought 7 of em'... zero complaints...

[/quote]

7. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Do not know what is aggrevating about a full float axle...

Could someone help me with this one?

Thanks!

8. dd113

dd113

Full floater is a great idea and is a great thing to do for your cruiser. It is just one of those things that should be waaaaay down the list like John said. On a 60 series with a large load I can see it but for a 40 it is not really needed unless you have a big block and a heavy foot. I have spun a few RR drive shafts before breaking an axle. Usually when they break a 350 or larger is involved.

9. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    I really like my 35 spline, disc brake, Dana 60/Ford 9" full floater in the rear of my Land Crusier that I built in '99. Complements the front 60 very well...

-Steve

10. mustardfj40

mustardfj40

Having a FF myself, I would add:
    Pro: coolness!
    Con: bring your own FF axle shaft spares and good luck find them cheaply!
    a set of spares from $OR costs almost as the axle itself.

I am doing FF disk brake conversion using all LC parts so none the parts are interchangeable with typical GM semi-float disk brake conversion.

Hope this helps

11. Radd Cruisers

Radd Cruisers

We are doing a Frame off 60 with a FF and factory four piston disc brakes, this gets a full Bling factor.

I will quote Wngrog as saying the only advantage is the carrying cappacity and the fact that the axle will not shoot out after malfunction.

If you want the factory of not having the axle shifting out of the housing after breakage go with the disc brake setup and this will keep things together.

I agree.

Rob

12. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    I want to clarify something I said. My 92 fj80 that wieghts 7000lbs+ with a stock semi floater and locker has never had rear axle issues. Point is, thats alot of wieght to be draging around........yet I have had no problems or even bearing issues.

13. theferg

theferg

Media:
    [quote author=tewlman link=board=1;threadid=10667;start=msg95794#msg95794 date=1075175675]
    7 axles sounds like a good project for a streched LC limo??
    [/quote]

Nope, 7 seperate Cruisers. ;) As for full-floats, I know a few people who were blowin' out SF rear shafts like they were goin' outta style. And no, they weren't runnin' 350s--they were runnin' basically stock 2Fs! I myself have never broken a rear shaft or any shaft or even a birf for that matter, so I don't KNOW which is stronger...

But there are some simple facts on their differences and they pretty much favor the FF. The only real reasons why a FF isn't considered a decent upgrade for a SF is sort of because the FF shafts aren't any bigger or thicker or stonger really but mainly because the FF axles are so damn hard to get and so damn expensive compared to a lot of other options. I would be willing to bet that any cruiserhead runnin' a SF on any of his cruisers would gladly swap straight accross for a FF given the chance to do so. Ya, you can hold the wheel on a SF with disc brakes if you brake a shaft--but would you really put 100% trust in that wheel stayin' on? I know I wouldn't...with a FF the wheel is on unless you're lugnuts fall off or you hub falls off--doesn't matter what your axle's doin' or what the brakes are doin.

I do agree though that though a FF has a few advantages, I too don't see it as really being that much "stronger" than a SF. Ya, the weight not on the actual axle itself, but when you're tourqein' that sucker... I agree also that there is in fact more maintainance required for a FF, but you're front is a FF anyways, what's so hard about checkin' the rear as often as checkin' the front? If you REALLY want to strengthen a rear end, get some custom stronger material shafts made, or swap in a 35 spline Dana60 or 14 Bolt or somethin' huge and heavy like that...

Personally, I chose FF rear for two reasons. 1: E-locker and 2: Ease of swap. (Ok, three reasons--the third being BLING!) As for not havin' spares...well, there's atleast 7 FF 60 series rears in (or near) Utah and atleast three or four of them wheel quite a bit...and I know that there already was a few FFs runnin' around here before... 'Course if you go with Toy e-locker or cable locker, you'll still need a different short side rear than those not runnin' a Toy locker... :p

-Ferg-

14. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    I have not ever done a modification to my vehicle to 'increase any "bling" factor'...

bling=:rainbow:

-Steve