Full Floater Rear Problem HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

matt.mcinnes

2F-ETI
Threads
Well I put Chromoly 30 spline Long's in the front added 2x8mm dowel pins in the rear on top of the 2 standard 7mm dowel pins and have gone from breaking CV's to stripping rear axle studs to now this hmmmmmm this 2F really does have some serious torque:eek:

000_0177.jpg

Options here in Oz are limited so what have you got to offer over there to match the Bobby Longs I have?

Matt...

Do you know the difference in length of 80 series rear axles and 40 series?

Pretty sure that you could shorten them and make them work for you.....

Poly Performance in CA sells Chromo rear axles for the 80 series.....

Ouch... :eek:
brokenrearau01.jpg

Matt...

Do you know the difference in length of 80 series rear axles and 40 series?

Pretty sure that you could shorten them and make them work for you.....

Poly Performance in CA sells Chromo rear axles for the 80 series.....

Ouch... :eek:

Sorry should have said my 40 has a wide arse rear 60 series which I belive is 2ins over all wider and the 80 is wider again though I dont know by how much.

I was thinking of having two Chromoly axles made at work in the tool room with splines at both ends and fitting 80 series front stub axle fanges in the same way the constant 4x4s are but not sure if this would be stronger that stock 60 axel.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Just had a serch through here and came up with these

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/product.php?productid=776&cat=149&page=1

Seems they do 60's too no need to cut down. Though looking at them there are no dowel pin holes or threaded holes for removing them mmmmm

that link goes to semi floating axels?

I could double check, but I inquired just two weeks ago about getting some custom chromo's for a 40 series with e-lockers from Bobby Long and he's got a guy that buys his blanks and can custom set up I think just about any application.

If I'm not mistaken his blanks will cost you same price as his finished ones, and then you'll have to pay for the custom cuts(not sure if they are cut or rolled) separately.

Last edited:
that link goes to semi floating axels?

I could double check, but I inquired just two weeks ago about getting some custom chromo's for a 40 series with e-lockers from Bobby Long and he's got a guy that buys his blanks and can custom set up I think just about any application.

If I'm not mistaken his blanks will cost you same price as his finished ones, and then you'll have to pay for the custom cuts(not sure if they are cut or rolled) separately.

Did 60 series come with a semi floating axle in the USA?

matt.mcinnes said:
I was thinking of having two Chromoly axles made at work in the tool room with splines at both ends and fitting 80 series front stub axle fanges in the same way the constant 4x4s are but not sure if this would be stronger that stock 60 axel.

It's been done before. IIRC, Christo Slee had to make some for his 80's axle after he kept snapping stock shafts.

It's been done before. IIRC, Christo Slee had to make some for his 80's axle after he kept snapping stock shafts.

Bobby long's make chromo hub gears, along with adding four more dowel pins and hardened/chromo studs will produce best hub posibilities, but...........

not sure it's your answer, judging by those first two pics?

Bobby long's make chromo hub gears, along with adding four more dowel pins and hardened/chromo studs will produce best hub posibilities, but...........

not sure it's your answer, judging by those first two pics?

I added 2x8mm dowel pins to go with 2 stock dowel pins and genuine Toyota studs. There was no damage to any of the studs or Dowel pins. Just the Axle this time:crybaby:

It's the 8mmm studs you can see in the top pic, the 7 mm ones are still in the hub.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom