full float rear axle seal question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a full float axle that I'm rebuilding to put in my taco and I have a question about the hub seals. Where does the outer axle seal go? Does it go in the spindle, if so how deep? When I tore the axle down it appears it didn't have one in there.

Here's a link to a video:

Nice video however it still does not say anything about that outer axle seal, the only time they mention is to put grease on it when inserting the axle.

Anyone ever service one of these????

The seal gets tapped into the spindle. I usually tap it in to where it is flush with the outside edge of the spindle. If there is a grove on the axle where the old seal was riding, you can tap it in a little further so it rides on a smooth part. There is a little extra room machined into the spindle to sink it deeper than flush. One of those cheap seal removal tools makes removing them a breeze.

I buy 4 seals each time. 2 for now, and 2 more extra for the next time so when I repack the rear bearings miles from now, I can put new seals in.

Thanks kernal, I have read both those links multiple times and missed the seal in there each time. I need to clean my eyes out. I have no idea why my axle didn't have one in there, the bearings were filled with gear lube, but look great.

Thanks kernal, I have read both those links multiple times and missed the seal in there each time. I need to clean my eyes out. I have no idea why my axle didn't have one in there, the bearings were filled with gear lube, but look great.

You could prob miss the seal if you didn't know where to look, but as mentioned above it go directly into the outer edge of the spindle. The only seals on the rear are the large seal that holds the inner bearing into the hub and the small seal that fits on the outer side of the spindle.

Looking at the spindle, follow the threads out, away from the truck. Stop. Right there, inside the hole... You found the seal. Seal puller, and press fit the new one in. I did it by hand, no hammer needed.

-A

Or you could just leave them out after recently installing and Ozzie locker and speaking with tools R Us I decided to leave the inner axle seal out and let the gear oil which is a better so there was really no point in putting them back in

Both inner axle seals head Blown out long long ago and all the grease has been washed out for god knows how long. did not seem to affect the wheel bearings in any way they wete in excellent condition with 140,000 miles on them.

Or you could just leave them out after recently installing and Ozzie locker and speaking with tools R Us I decided to leave the inner axle seal out and let the gear oil which is a better so there was really no point in putting them back in

Both inner axle seals head Blown out long long ago and all the grease has been washed out for god knows how long. did not seem to affect the wheel bearings in any way they wete in excellent condition with 140,000 miles on them.

That's interesting that you wrote that because that's how this junkyard axle was when i tore it down, no grease but full of gear lube and no seal. I dont see why it would not work, it looks like nothing leaked in (water), nor out of the hub and the bearings look perfect. Maybe ill stick a seal in one side, and not the other and compare...

If you want to roll the dice on if gear oil vs. wheel bearing grease work it's your funeral. Not something I would ever consider given I've had a wheel bearing failure at 75mph, sheared the axle shaft and took the tire and hub assembly with it as it bounced down HWY 80. I'm lucky to be alive, and even more lucky that tire didn't kill someone.

Seals are put there for a reason, oil stays on one side, grease on the other...

But hey, how much could Mr. T really know in utility truck design....

A

Good points ammo and I've had a spindle failure on a fuel truck at a place I worked at in college. Same thing happend, bearing had no lube and the bearing ground to dust and broke the front spindle off the front axle off a 2000 gallon avgas truck. I have both rear seals and I am going to stick them on there since I got them with wheel bearing grwase, but this axle obviously had no seals in it, lubed with gear lube and the bearings and spindle look perfect.

If you want to roll the dice on if gear oil vs. wheel bearing grease work it's your funeral. Not something I would ever consider given I've had a wheel bearing failure at 75mph, sheared the axle shaft and took the tire and hub assembly with it as it bounced down HWY 80. I'm lucky to be alive, and even more lucky that tire didn't kill someone.

OMG, bus load of nuns!

Seals are put there for a reason, oil stays on one side, grease on the other...

Yep, in most cases, in this one, not so much, that seal is way wimpy. Almost all of them that we have taken apart the hubs were full of gear oil, grease washed out, had been that way for a long time and bearings are in great condition.

But hey, how much could Mr. T really know in utility truck design....

A

A lot, but even they are not perfect, do make things that are less than optimal. Running wheel bearings on gear oil is common on full floater axles, well proven. Gear oil is a better lube than grease. Have done it both ways, but eventually almost all end up being oil lubed. At least without the seal, there is better oil exchange between the axle and hub, so better setup.

So are you saying the only thing holding my nice new Mobil 1 Syn really is the paper gasket on the drive flange?

Cause mine puked gear oil, hence my recent rebuild.

-A

One more question...

I've been messing around trying to get the hub nut set screws lined up (engineering blunder on the almighty Mr t for sure...) Is there a trick to this? I've messed with this for well over an hour and can't get it, I've held the other lock washer up to it to line up the holes, I have tried to line it up by trying to use thin punches as feelers.. No dice!! Any tips?

What a terrible design.

You line one of the notches in the hub nut lugs up with one of the notches in the outer edge of the spindle.

Watch the video posted above again, at the 6:30 mark it shows both notches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom