Full float, LSD install question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For part of my build I am installing a full float rear axle on my '84 fj60. I picked up a LSD a little while back and decided to go ahead and throw it in. I pulled the semi-float third and disassembled it so I could re-use the ring and pinion. I heated the ring up and slipped it on the diff. and bolted it up, no problems thus far. I was looking at the parts that came off of the semi float and I ran into a little confusion as to what needs/can be reused when I put it all back together. Basically the pin bolt that locks the cross shaft in on the semi-float does not fit the housing on the LSD: (pin circled in red)
diff_pin.jpg

Looking at the parts manual for the LSD, I am not sure if there is a different pin that goes in this space. Possibly this guy:

LSD_pin.jpg

This is my first time taking apart a third so please bear with me, I'm learning as I go.
-Bahndo

Completely different. The pin in the semi float is there to hold the axles in place and is NOT required on a full float axle. In fact there is no where to put that pin in the semi float which is why a semi floater can NEVER have an OEM LSD. The bolt you have circled on the LSD is simply to hold the two sides of the LSD together.

Gotcha, that's kind of what I gathered. The only reason I questioned it is b/c there is a threaded hole in the LSD housing that is in the same place as the one on the open diff. I don't have it in front of me or I would take a pic and post it but I will see if I can get one. Any thoughts on what is supposed to go in the threaded hole?
Thanks,
Bahndo

Any thoughts on what is supposed to go in the threaded hole?
Thanks,
Bahndo

Not sure, and my LSD is installed in the front axle of my '60 so I can't look at it either.

I'm working on getting a picture.....

Alright here's a pic. the hole in question is circled in red:

LSD_diff_marked.jpg

I am pretty sure this is an Auburn LSD if that helps/makes a difference, Thanks,
Bahndo

I am pretty sure this is an Auburn LSD if that helps/makes a difference, Thanks,
Bahndo

If it's an Auburn then my comments earlier may not apply. My LSD is the OEM Toyota unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom