Full Float in place of Semi-Float? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I'm working on a 67-72 fj40 and the rear diff is semi-float. I am having difficulty finding brand new semi-float axles anywhere online. My question is, could I use a full float axle if I'm also upgrading to disc brakes. I understand that I couldn't without disc breaks.

Thank You

Hello, I'm working on a 67-72 fj40 and the rear diff is semi-float. I am having difficulty finding brand new semi-float axles anywhere online. My question is, could I use a full float axle if I'm also upgrading to disc brakes. I understand that I couldn't without disc breaks.

Thank You

have you tried posting a want ad in the classifieds?

Just to be clear 67-72 had two different style of inner axles. Coarse and fine spline. Coarse to fine believe was during the 68 model year. The later style looks to change 8/73 with a different style bearing if that helps

I didn't realize everyone switching to disc brakes on the back axle were also going with full floaters.

Sorry I wasnt more specific. the FJ im working on is a monster of 67-72 parts but im almost certain the diff im having issues with is 68-74. It was drum brakes, semi-float, and fine spline. The disc brake conversion will bolt perfectly to the current housing. Id like to know if I get these axles Toyota 9.5'', Land Cruiser 40 and 70 series Nitro Chromoly Axle Kit (Pair) - https://www.nitro-gear.com/Toyota-Land-Cruiser-40-and-70-series-Nitro-axles-p/axtff-fj40.htm will they fit with some modification in my housing. I'm almost certain if they are too long I can cut them a bit short but I worry about the thickness of the shaft. And if they dont fit could you please tell me why?

thanks again everyone for your answers.

P.S. I do know that the site makes it clear that they are for full float ONLY but im thinking that they assume people will install them with out a disc brake conversion and catch sight of an errant tire and axle in the rear view.

WHY?

Tons of folks running around with rear disc on semi float. AND, the biggest fear of the semi-float crowd, snapping an axle and having it walk out the housing, is already eliminated: the brake caliper will hold the axle/wheel/rotor sandwich together.

AND FF spare parts are even harder to come by. I knew a guy THIRTY years ago that actually wheeled his 40, and he resold his FF once he realized he’d bought himself a long ticket down a one way street.

WHY?

Tons of folks running around with rear disc on semi float. AND, the biggest fear of the semi-float crowd, snapping an axle and having it walk out the housing, is already eliminated: the brake caliper will hold the axle/wheel/rotor sandwich together.

AND FF spare parts are even harder to come by. I knew a guy THIRTY years ago that actually wheeled his 40, and he resold his FF once he realized he’d bought himself a long ticket down a one way street.
I would happily use semi-float if the axles I tore out were not damaged and or I could find them easily online, brand new. This is not a useless upgrade because im restless, I I already wish for the time back which I spent trying to figure this out.

I would happily use semi-float if the axles I tore out were not damaged and or I could find them easily online, brand new. This is not a useless upgrade because im restless, I I already wish for the time back which I spent trying to figure this out.
I still have a stack of good, low mileage semi float axleshafts from when I bought out Midwest Landcruiser in 1990. :meh:
1647611800168.jpeg

This isn’t even a quarter of them.

FWIW, IMO it all depends on the weight & use of rig, semi floats seem to break pinions and carrier parts before axles, however higher weights and horse powers or if you intend to carry/tow heavy loads is when the FF shines. IMO a FF 30 spline shaft is a stout deal, the use of hubs on the rear is, well, less than the use of drive flanges and then you still have to worry about the shear pins and bolts with cone washers. An internal spline hub with drive slugs would be the way to build it if youre building it anyway. If you need a FF for your vehicle & use then I would offer that building a FF around the 9.5 is not attractive unless as you have found you can find one, good luck there and the cost will make you wish you built one.

I did build a full floating axle and once the shafts are delivered it will be complete. I also have a semi float housing that could be converted or rebuild with a 9.5" differential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom