Full diagnosis is in on my 470...I’ve got some fun projects in my future. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently took my LX in for a diagnostic. I got a good deal on it because of the high mileage, the previous owners took care of the engine and timing belt but everything else needs some love. Another positive is that there is zero rust underneath.

-steering rack
-outer tie rodx2
-upper ball control armX2

-front right cv axle

-rear shocks

-engine mount
-engine stabilizer

I’m looking for resources on any of these, mainly the steering rack and how difficult it is to remove the old one. I don’t think I’m gonna mess with the rear shocks on my own. Should I go oem on all the parts? I know the answer is probably yes, but I’m wondering if anyone has had good results from after market parts. I’m assuming the engine mounts/stabilizers will be easier after the steering rack is removed and the arms are out of the way? I’m new to the land cruiser world 🌎 and this forum, any advice on videos/resources is greatly appreciated.

I’m looking for resources on any of these, mainly the steering rack and how difficult it is to remove the old one. I don’t think I’m gonna mess with the rear shocks on my own.
Steering rack is $hittier to do than shocks.

Should I go oem on all the parts?
Yes.

I’m assuming the engine mounts/stabilizers will be easier after the steering rack is removed and the arms are out of the way?
No.

Shocks and outer tie rod ends are 1 banana job. Easy

Engine mounts and ball joints, CV shafts are a 1.5-2 banana job. Straight forward but more time consuming.

Steering rack is a mid 3, it's a pain.

Tons of threads with tutorials. In search you will want to select "advanced search" and then "search by forum". Select 100 series and then put in your query. It will give you way better results than the general search will.

You'll find the same info in the steering rack threads, but plan to have engine mounts on hand when you do the steering. It's much easier to do the rack job if you lift the engine up on the LHS, so you may as well replace the mount while it's disconnected.

Shocks and outer tie rod ends are 1 banana job. Easy

Engine mounts and ball joints, CV shafts are a 1.5-2 banana job. Straight forward but more time consuming.

Steering rack is a mid 3, it's a pain.

Tons of threads with tutorials. In search you will want to select "advanced search" and then "search by forum". Select 100 series and then put in your query. It will give you way better results than the general search will.
The back shocks suck to do though

You know if you're going to do engine mounts, cvs and steering rack, dropping out the front diff really isn't that difficult and it opens up acres of room down there. Makes the mounts and rack a lot easier. You can have a look at the diff mounts then while you're at it.

Last edited:
Check your front diff bushings. The chances are that if you need all of the other items, those may be at or near end-of-life.

Mine were toast along with the rack and items you described.

I found it easier to just rip it all out and replace them all at once. Like gutting and remodeling an old house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom