Full Battery- low crank. Won't Start...... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I left my battery in my 1992 Prado over the winter. Disconnected it to prevent discharge. I Hooked it up in the spring and all I get are rapid clicks. Purchased a new battery. Used jumper cables to quickly attach the two batteries together and try it out. Now its a Slow and low crank. No start. Is there a oxidized cable to the starter or something that is a common problem on these models?

You'll want to check your connections and cables for corrosion good contact. I'd also use a multi-meter and check the voltage on both batteries. I would NOT hook both batteries together (parallel) since the condition of one (the old battery) is an unknown. IF you have sulfated plates (very likely) then the second battery will try to drain off into the bad one....hindering your start capacity.

IF you find good voltage on both batteries and no obvious issues with connections or cables then I suspect your starter/solenoid needs attention.

Last edited:
I left my battery in my 1992 Prado over the winter. Disconnected it to prevent discharge. I Hooked it up in the spring and all I get are rapid clicks. Purchased a new battery. Used jumper cables to quickly attach the two batteries together and try it out. Now its a Slow and low crank. No start. Is there a oxidized cable to the starter or something that is a common problem on these models?
80 series starters have a common issue to cause similar problems when the starter contacts are worn. But, since you say yours is a Prado model, you might get better help results in this section: 90 series and Prado.

You'll want to check your connections and cables for corrosion good contact. I'd also use a multi-meter and check the voltage on both batteries. I would NOT hook both batteries together (parallel) since the condition of one (the old battery) is an unknown. IF you have sulfated plates (very likely) then the second battery will try to drain off into the bad one....hindering your start capacity.

IF you find good voltage on both batteries and no obvious issues with connections or cables then I suspect your starter/solenoid needs attention.
Just wanted to follow up. I charged the new battery and switch it in. What a difference!! Problem solved.

Just wanted to follow up. I charged the new battery and switch it in. What a difference!! Problem solved.

There ya go. Good job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom