Fujitsu C-500, GlobalSat BU-353 & NG Topo! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bpenn1980

SILVER Star
Threads
Just finished getting this setup all put together.

My intention here was to create a portable, car utilized, PC based gps system. The focus was on off-pavement mapping with topo quad detail, so turn-by-turn stuff with funny arrows and a nice female voice was useless.

I decided on a tablet PC as a nice balance of laptop PC computing power and screen size versus the convenient size and portability of smaller GPS only devices. I settled on the Fujitsu tablet PC due to cost primarily. I was looking at the Itronix ix300 tablets, but cost was 2-3x what I picked the Fujitsu up for. The full size Itronix laptops are nice too, but seemed a bit too bulky for me. The seeming minuscule computing power of the C-500 isn't a concern for running mapping software, however I was also able to surf the internet with it fairly easily which was surprising. Runs Topo! like a charm and map scrolling is smooth and fluid. It has 16GB hard drive and is running Windows 2000 Professional. Plenty of space to save all the topo quads I could possibly hope for. In addition, the Fujitsu came with a heavy canvas cover/case, wireless keyboard, docking station, AC adapter and car adapter. All for $120, not bad (if it works on washboard roads!)

I got the GlobalSat BU-353 gps receiver for a combination of weatherproofing and cost. It was marginally less expensive than the Garmin puck and the Delorme device. If I ever wanted to put it on the roof due to temporary obstructions (canyon, heavy foliage, etc) I can just roll down the window and throw it on the roof without concern. I dont know if that will be a useful feature yet or not. One complaint here is that the USB cable is too short so I had to buy an extension at $25 expense which makes it much less appealing from a price standpoint. I opted away from the wireless GPS receivers due to battery power. I want to be able to plug the PC into the car power and not have to think about anything else.

For the mapping software I decided on the National Geographic Topo! software and got the Topo! California package which includes topo quads for the entire state. This seemed to be a better deal than the Topo! Explorer software which requires you to download each quad for $1 (this add's up quickly). The one benefit is that you get satellite imagery overlay for each of the quads you purchase.

I'm planning on using it around town for the next few weeks to work out the kinks and find a spot in the cruiser where its most convenient. The first field trial will be mid-January on a 3 day Mojave Road trip.
IMG00094.jpg

How is screen visibility in the vehicle on a sunny day?
-B-

Good thing you didn't go with the IX300 as they had problems with the digitizer (touch screen). These issues were fixed on the IX325. Fujitsu makes a decent product. I used one before going with the Itronix IX 325. Let us know how it works for you.

Just before Christmas, I got a Fujitsu ST4121, the daylight viewable screen is great, gets brighter in direct sunlight. Got it cheap on eBay, ~$150 shipped, the screen has some scratches and a few specks of dust between the outer glass and screen. These cosmetic blemishes haven't effected usability, can read it fine on the trail.

Also got the BU-353 puck, it's reception is great will lock 9-10 satellites from in my office, don't see the need to mount it outside of the rig. Have done a couple of tight canyon runs with zero issue. Currently it's riding on the dash, the plan is to add fulltime OB2 scanner, so the thought is to mount a USB hub in the glove box area, mount the GPS puck high inside the dash and plug both into the hub.

National Geographic Topo! is what I'm running, IMHO the interface is kludgie. A buddy has Delorme, will load and compare before deciding which to stick with. Most here run ND, so makes sharing routes easier.

Going to install one of the streets programs for trips, have my collection of FSM's 40, mini, runner, 80, etc, on it. Only have 6 trail days on it, but it has proven to be handy on the trail, now I know exactly where we are lost at!:eek::hillbilly:

Three days off road across the Mojave National Preserve and I'm very pleased with this setup. Lots of wires to manage, but some twist-ties make quick work of that.

Screen is bright enough to read in the car. Direct sunlight and steep angles make it very difficult, but I'm fine with that.

Topo! software is kind of a pain in the butt to use on the go since the buttons are small and not very intuitive, but the level of detail is amazing.

All in all, very happy with this GPS configuration. At not time did I have any doubts as to where we were or how to get to anywhere else. Paper map is still great for the "big picture" though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom