Fueling issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1990 FJ62 with the 3FE, having issues with it staying running. I’ve replaced the fuel pump, it will start and run for a few seconds and then die. Let it sit for a few seconds try again, same thing. Any suggestions as to what could be the issue?

first and foremost pull the CEL codes on it. check if any hidden codes are lurking in the memory. also, may want to check your intake hose for cracks. could possibly be your TPS not working or out of adjustment.

Hey fuzzy’s (that’s what we call Garrett) friend. Doctor Hamm here. You Reported positive spark and fuel at the fuel rail. Have you done the simple things like new plugs, wires and checked inside the distributor cap? Also, when you were spraying starter fluid, where were you spraying it in? What I’ve learned is that working on these things is almost impossible without the coveted factory service manual. Usually costs $100. Definitely worth it. Look in the faq section on how to pull codes. Someone will have posted a page from the fsm on what the codes mean. You have to jumper a couple of points on the diagnostic port on the passenger side of the firewall and watch the check engine light blinks. That is the codes. No fancy tools.

Double check the wiring/connection at the air flow meter. Has the AFM ever had the connector buggered by undoing the screws rather than releasing the spring clip?

The fuel pump gets power via 2 logic paths.. the start circuit while cranking, and a switch in the AFM while running. I believe you can jump between 2 terminals in the diagnostic port to force power to the fuel pump for diagnosing.

20220430_221824.jpg

Do you have an FSM, it's invaluable in troubleshooting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom