Fuel/water separator for 70 series Cruisers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'day lads. Wondering what the going unit is that most people fit to a 4.2L 1HD-FTE turbo diesel Land Cruiser. In particular, this is for a 1VD-FTE 4.5L TDV8 commonrail. I initially was looking at a Delphi filterhead - RWP100 follong a Fleetguard - FF167A filter and glass bowl underneath pretty much like the picture but with FF167A printed on the filter. I have been advised this being too small but from the specs it flows 75L/hr and the 1VD-FTE flows 8L for every Litre consumed (9L per Litre usage). Anyhow, just trying to see what people are using and what is a proven product. The other is a Fuel Manager FM100 but is huge.
HDF296A.jpg

This really needs to be in the diesel forum,thats what its for. I would go to a diesel filter supplier and get them to find you a suitable unit based on the flow rates you quoted. I doubt you will find any units that are not "proven" at a reputable supplier in Australia.
There is nothing wrong with the factory toyota filter head ,except the filters are expensive for waht you get.

Cheers. Well, diesel related but specific to LandCruiser 70. Factory filtration does not do enough for the commonrail fuel system as such why they are always having issues. Extreme tolerances and pressures demans super clean fuel and and such, Australia has some of the worst fuel compared to USA and Europe. Very dirty and unrefined. Whenever moisture is present in a commonrail diesel system, is causes express friction and thus premature wear. So fitting a proper separator filtration unit will take out the bulk of the impurites while leaving the factory filter able to do its job better without getting loaded as quickly.

During the last 10,000klms, impurities breached the filter element due to bad fuel as I was travelling interstate and at a different gas station every fill. I have never had such bad results over a small 10,000klm period and Toyota does not periodically change the fuel during routine maintenance at all. They change the filter when the dash warning light becomes present. But by then the engine has injested gallons of dirty fuel. I am sure servicing and standards are different in the US.

For myself, as my vehicle is new, I want to get something sorted as soon as possible. I have 2 products at present. 1st being Fuel Manager FM100 and the 2nd being a Baldwin FFK 1259 unit that Cummins use.

When we separated the 70 series forum from diesel posts ,the intention was that all diesel related posts should be in the diesel forum for future reference regardless as to what series it was installed in.
The 70 series was intended to be for petrol engines body ,transmission 12v electrical and accessories.

You would be better off with the locally designed bad fuel alarm thats shuts down the fuel system if it senses water. I forget the name of it.
I doubt Australia has some of the worst fuel,I often hear of it but have never seen any the proof that it was from bad refining.

It can get serious

Penalties under the Act can be substantial. Corporations face a maximum penalty of $275 000 (for altering or supplying fuel that does not comply with a fuel standard). The importation or supply of a fuel additive that is entered in the Register of Prohibited Fuel Additives established under the Act carries a maximum penalty of $137 500 for a corporation.

If someone gets a bad dose of fuel ,it is most likely at the retail end,although that offers no consolation to someone with a ruined pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom