Fuel tank ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Normandy Park Wa. ........now in San Diego Ca.
Is the early 45 LWB fuel tank different than early 40 tank??

Last edited:
45 tanks are very hard to come by,They are usually rusty from sitting for so long.I dont have any,as a matter of fact I need one for a customer rig!!!

so is the shape basicly the same as early 40? depression in floor looks close to the same

You can use an early FJ40 tank as a replacement--the filler necks are a little different but will work. I used a new one from SOR in the building of my Blue 45 SWB. If you go through the photos you can see a couple photos towards the end of the tank:

Blue 45 SWB - a set on Flickr

fj40 tanks work

The tank itself seems to be the same but the fill neck is different. If the original fill neck is still good it could be welded in to a pre 73 FJ40 tank. Could also cut the FJ40 neck down but not sure woe well it will seal. Little the FJ40 fill neck stock puts it to far back to get a hose to work. At some point I need to dig out my spare tanks and post pictures with the difference.
fj45 truck trailer spare 010.JPG

Keep in mind that if you use a 68 or newer 40 tank, you are also going to have an issue with the standing seams on the front and rear of the tank clearing the legs of the seat and the standing seam at the back of the cab.

Best

Mark A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom