Fuel Tank Trim (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Afternoon cruisers,

I started tackling a fuel guage discrepancy today (I bought a used fuel assembly), I figured somewhere within the assembly there is something not right. Guage is never right. I suspect a bad float but I found a whole assembly on ebay for $50 so why not eliminate this first.

Problem...

I found an awesome tutorial by a member on here on how to remove the fuel assembly from the tank. Got to the part of removing the round trim holding the assembly in place by 8 (8mm) screws, and it's rusted very badly. I just spray on some PB blaster to hopefully loosen it but I can tell there are going to be some issues. I'd like to replace the trim piece and the screws.

Here is the thread which details excellently how to remove:

DIY: Fuel Sender Replacement 2004

This is the part I need to replace:

upload_2018-5-17_12-48-9.png

Thanks. I was worried I was going to snap a screw. The trim was pretty rusted but I was able to get it off after soaking it with the PB blaster. Guage works perfectly again. Thanks Rockford Autoparts on ebay! I just replace the fuel screen filter with a new one and replaced the.....

upload_2018-5-18_12-23-20.png

do you have pics of the sender arm? I'm trying to find out if it travels on a copper trace and if the arm might be adjustable to a new path. Mine is very lazy.
I realize no one has probably taken that box apart. Just checking.

Last edited:
I cleaned mine and took pics. You can't move the arm to follow a new path but cleaning the trace, or whatever you call it makes it work faster when you fill the tank up. Plastic cover is held on by those two grey clips on the cover. I didn't meter it to see if it actually helped the reading at all. I was too anxious to get a new pump in there.

IMG_20181020_091924.jpg

IMG_20181020_092441.jpg

IMG_20181020_092811.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom