Fuel tank repair questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'day folks.
Ive got the fuel tank out of my 1978 FJ45, and noticed theres a few surface rust patches inside the tank ,and some deep pitting on the underside.(no holes,as far as i can tell, fortunately)
Ive bought a tank repair kit,which consists of cleaner,rust converter and sealant.
The stuff is poured in (seperately) sloshed around, then poured out.
Im worried about the sealant blocking the fuel outlets,as once it sets,thats it
Any ideas or experience with this? thanks in advance
Skip

r0GLJDPeTL+rLFniRFc55Q.jpg

I used that exact kit on my 40 probably 10 years ago without any issues on fuel delivery.
Your arms get tired shaking it around, but otherwise a very good product.

In case, CCOT has new tanks. Deep pitting is a leak waiting to happen. Happened on my son’s build.

OEM is about the same price as CCOT, and...OEM. That's at least for the newer style tanks, I'm not sure on the older (pre-'72) tanks. I was surprised as well, almost no delays - had it at my door in three days from Uncle Toyota. The OP is in Australia as well...but guessing similar play, although they might have better aftermarket support there.

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 9.52.57 AM.png

Mine had the same deep pits and no leaks, had hoped it was just scale...but upon sandblasting it had a smattering of pinholes where there wasn't much left.

Well,turned into a complete amateur disaster . The sealant was fairly viscous and wouldnt drain,no matter a whole lotta shaking going on. The drain plug on my tank has a slight raised bit,that allowed huge pools of the sealant to gloop about without draining,and the honey like consistency meant that i couldnt get much of it out. After several hours of tilting shaking cursing etc i finally panicked and tried washing the goop out with thinners ,which wasnt fully successful.
Probably ruined my fuel tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom