Fuel tank options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am posting this to see what ideas or solutions people have thought of, or implemented, for increased fuel capacity. I have done lots of searching and reading, but the posts are all over the place. I thought this would be a good time to gather stuff into one thread.

Right now I just have the stock tank in my '71 40. I would love to be somewhere close to 30 gallons capacity.

For my rig I am planning to move the rear axle back. That nixes the idea of adding a long range tank behind the axle. So what does that leave me? I thought (but have not put some serious planning into) about a tank under the drivers seat to supplement the main tank. Issues would be filling it, getting fuel out, and measuring what's in it.

Here is what I have imagined for my particular case so far. I wonder if a stock tank could be modified to fit? Add a filler door on that side. Either use a tank selector valve or a transfer pump to move the fuel to the main tank. Use either 2 gages or a switch to select the tank to monitor (both senders would need to match).

OK, post away. Lets get our creative ideas out here!

Steve

You may not be able to use a standard rear tank like Downey's sells if you relocate your axle rearward, but there are plenty of shops that fab up legal fuel tanks that could make you one to fit.

MAF sells this tank that fits under both seats but uses the stock filler neck, but it's like $800.

Last edited:
If building something under the drivers seat proves to be a PITA, look at the fuel cells that Jaz Products sells. You could cut a hole in the rear floor area and drop one of their shallow tanks into the hole, with the tank essentially becoming your rear floor????

I like this one. I saw a post where a guy fabbed one like this himself. I just figured it was adove my skill level and $800 is a little more than I want to spend on a tank.

Still, I love that one!

You may not be able to use a standard rear tank like Downey's sells if you relocate your axle rearward, but there are plenty of shops that fab up legal fuel tanks that could make you one to fit.

MAF sells this tank that fits under both seats but uses the stock filler neck, but it's like $800.

I was looking at fuel cells for a while. Summit has lots of sizes. I want a rear seat so a big cell in the back is out of the question, but a shallow tank level with the floor will need some more thought.

I was at a boat shop the other day and saw a 12 gallon tank that looked like it might fit under the drivers seat. It got me pondering...

If building something under the drivers seat proves to be a PITA, look at the fuel cells that Jaz Products sells. You could cut a hole in the rear floor area and drop one of their shallow tanks into the hole, with the tank essentially becoming your rear floor????

Or you can buy Confer aux tank from me for $400, brand new never installed.
I'm in Portland, if you want to pick it up.

Or you can buy Confer aux tank from me for $400, brand new never installed.
I'm in Portland, if you want to pick it up.

:confused:

For my rig I am planning to move the rear axle back. That nixes the idea of adding a long range tank behind the axle.

Emboldened for clarity....

:lol:

:meh:

second tank -- out of the cabin -- in rear

I added a tank at the rear. I got it out of a 1982 Ford pasenger car, and it had the right profile and the fill hose was a bit short, but I got it to work well.

I kept the front tank, and added a fuel switch just to the right of the drivers seat. Re-ran all the fuel lines, and used some truck straps to secure and isolate the tanks from the straps.

THere were several companies that sold a kit for just this mod, but I found this tank for $50 at a U Pull It and off I went into savings land.

that's about it. under coated behind the tank and will have to drop it down when i replace the back frame member next week but that is ok.

the fill cap is in a hole on the back left side, and i plan to put a locking door over the hole. I used 1/4-20's to mount it up for the time being, until the door goes on.

i am adding a full skid plate for off road situations too. just have not mounted it up yet.
Dsc03680a.jpg
Dsc03679a.jpg
Dsc03678a.jpg

actually...

that is 120 guage structural strapping. and it's galv'd too. Lets just say, it's very very very stout.:)

thanks for keeping an eye on my work. sometimes i miss the obvious, but this time i did not.

Poser ;) Good catch...

:confused:

Emboldened for clarity....

:lol:

:meh:

So, last night I measured the area under the drivers seat and then figured how much I could raise the seat if need be. I calculated that I could have a tank fabbed that would hold between 10 and 16 gallons (raising the seat 2" and through the floor 2".

Not bad. Now to see if I can find a local shop that will fab one up for not so much $. $200 is the most I would want to spend. Could be a good product line for someplace like Downey??? hint, hint!

Steve

I have been thinking about the same mod since I got the rig last April. I have a 1980 BJ40 so my stock tank is under the floor on the passenger side. I have a great big whopping space under the driver's side if I move the little vacum tank somewhere. If I could find a tank that could match or exceed the 23 gallon capacity of the stocker and would fit under the floor on the driver's side I'd be set. I'm overseas so I need to hear from all of you guys as well on options as I'm always unsure of the quality of fab skills in a third world country on something like this.
Thanks,
John

Here's my homebrew tank. The inspection cover is for accessing the in-tank fuel pump, which is needed for my EFI setup.

fuel_tank.jpg

Why not cut the drivers side floor to have the depression like the pass side has, then add a standard under seat tank, mod and link them together. Maybe a lot of fab, (seat brackets etc) but it might work...

Just "thinking outa the box..."

What ever you do, don't weld on a used gas tank unless you know what you are doing. They must be filled with inert gas to keep from exploding.

Why not cut the drivers side floor to have the depression like the pass side has, then add a standard under seat tank, mod and link them together. Maybe a lot of fab, (seat brackets etc) but it might work...

Just "thinking outa the box..."

Exhaust is the issue on the drivers side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom