Fuel tank options from non-US markets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

Like most of us, I'm bothered by the lack of range my LX470 has. I've looked at the replacement tank and aux tank options from LRA and N4, and I'm not really impressed by them. My spare is still in the stock location, and I don't plan to change that, and the large gallon replacement tanks hang below the frame rail, and are really pricy.

Has anyone here come up with other solutions?

I know 100 series in a few other markets came with dual tanks. Can those be installed in the US spec 100 series? Does anyone know the part numbers?

Thank you

Aussie cruisers have a 46 litre sub tank. You may be able to find one at an Australian wreckers

If you really want to go big

But it requires moving the spare. It replaces the 46 litre sub tank we have
I have one of their 180l tanks in my diesel. Gives me a total of 270 litres. Amazing range and allows me to fill up at the cheaper places when I'm travelling outback.
Freight may be a bit of a killer though

Contractor-110-Deluxe-clipped-image.png

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with. :)

No joke. You asked for a solution, I gave you one. haha.

As for your second question, I'm not aware of anyone on here who has done it. Likely it would be expensive and require A LOT of custom fab. There are a lot of differences in the fuel systems just between USDM model years never mind overseas markets. That said, any problem can be solved if you throw enough money at it.

Good Luck.

Mine has a 46L sub tank from factory, its not a big job to increase this to 90L by swapping in a 120 Series Prado rear tank with some light fabrication, may be an option for you. Cost be $20 for the prado tank, straps, pickup.

Mine has a 46L sub tank from factory, its not a big job to increase this to 90L by swapping in a 120 Series Prado rear tank with some light fabrication, may be an option for you. Cost be $20 for the prado tank, straps, pickup.
I'm don't want to buy a new bumper to relocate the spare.

Where are you from? Where is the 46L tank located from the factory?

If you take a look under your truck, you can see that there isn't a lot of room for another tank. There is/used to be a tank that sat above the spare, but it was small. As far as I've found, if you really want significant extra range, you relocate the spare or carry fuel externally.

I'm don't want to buy a new bumper to relocate the spare.

Where are you from? Where is the 46L tank located from the factory?

Australia, tank goes above the factory spare, location does no change. All 100, 105s here have dual tanks.

Got a line on a factory tank that goes above the spare?
Australia, tank goes above the factory spare, location does no change. All 100, 105s here have dual tanks.

Got a line on a factory tank that goes above the spare?

Should be 77001-60502. Fastest way to get to that is to grab a vin off of something like gumtree.com.au and plug that in to Partsouq.

Looking at the parts diagram Toyota 77001-60502 (7700160502) TANK SUB-ASSY, FUEL SUB - https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/7700160502 here, US models would need the AU filler neck, tank with related pump, hoses, etc. And then need to splice into the US wiring harness to power the aux fuel pump.

Then there is the question of is my 33" tires will fit with the spare tank.

Maybe the LRA replacement tanks, or having a local fabricator make one are easier options. I'm going to keep looking into this. I have a trip from Cali to Wyoming planned next year, and I'll need the extra range.

To be honest I’ve travelled WY, MT, CO, UT, NM, and carried spare fuel but never really needed it…. That said it is nice to fill up at camp with 2 jerry cans and have an extra 100 miles of range…. I may just hit the easy button and get the front runner roof rack jerry can holder…. $150 and I already have Jerry cans…

I installed a full Oem sub tank on my 2001100 series. I install was straight forward. All the connections are there in the us spec trucks. On trips, the sub tanks gives me around 200mi. City driving around 150. Driving on 33 inch tires. Was it worth it?, i think that every bit counts. Nothing has failed. The fuel solenoid is solid. I check all fuel lines every year. There are a lot more. Some day I’ll get in behind the dash and add the sub tank bulb.

Last edited:

I installed a full Oem sub tank on my 2001100 series. I install was straight forward. All the connections are there in the us spec trucks. On trips, the sub tanks gives me around 200mi. City driving around 150. Driving on 33 inch tires. Was it worth it?, i think that every bit counts. Nothing has failed. The fuel solenoid is solid. I check all fuel lines every year. There are a lot more. Some day I’ll get in behind the dash and add the sub tank bulb.
Thanks for the link. I appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom