Fuel System Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '70 FJ-40 and have been going through the fuel system. Ok, I started somewhere near the carb and realized it was gunked up from there to the tank. No wonder the PO had several filters installed at various locations in an attempt to keep the crud out of the carb.

1) What was OE for fuel line from the tank to the stock filter? Soft? Hard? I pulled off some kind of clear tube with sweged fittings on each end. IIRC, I have never seen clear tube rated for fuel use.

2) What threads are on the tank/filter/pump? Does an adapter exist to convert to a barbed fitting? Is there a better way to re-plumb it? The PO did some creative work with brass fittings to get to a barb, but it was not the "right" way to do it.

3) Did OE fuel tanks have a fiberglassed bottom (or at least exterior)? I have searched around and I can't tell from the pictures I have seen. If this was more work of the PO, then it is much better work than what I keep finding. The tank does not leak, but it needs to be cleaned and sealed. I need to figure out if it is worth the time/money to put into this tank or to find another one in better condition.

4) Do they make rebuild kits for the stock fuel pumps? The diaphram on mine is not much longer for this world.

Thanks!!

Michael

Sor.com!

Hi Michael

If you go to Specter off-road there are diagrams for everything you are asking about! www.sor.com

As far as the tank, someone repaired it with fiberglass is my guess. They are all steel from the factory and there are some aftermarket ones in poly. I'm sure the po must have sucked a lot of rust from the old tank into the fuel lines then did some interesting "fixin". Even if you patch holes from the outside there is still rust inside the tank, I just lined mine with Por-15. If I don't like the way it turns out I'm just going to buy one from Cruiserdan.

Dianna

Thanks Dianna-

The tank has definately seen better days. No leaks, but some previous "work" done to fix leaks. Previous owners are sometimes just plain wonderful, eh? I am not sure I want to sink the $$ into it when there may be better options. Oh well, it is project so it is just one step at a time.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom