Fuel system issue... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here's the deal '73 fj40, aftermarket poly gas tank and chevy V8. As it stands right now, there is no ability for the tank to "vent" as gas is drawn from it. There is the filler neck and the outlet line to the carb, and no other ports to allow air in as gas is drawn out. So...if I don't leave the gas cap partially unscrewed, I get a vacuum created inside pretty quickly. I need to some type of charcoal cannister/gas separator, right? There are a couple of plugged ports to add additional accessories to the tank, just not sure how to go about it and where to get the parts.

Thanks for the help,

David

yes you need the charcoal can/fuel separater one line runs from the tank to the separator, and one runs from separator to the tank, and then on the separator a line runs down to a metal line and out threw the body to the outside (thats the vent) and the other tank line was for the original fuel return line. check www.coolcruisers.com in the fuel tank section is a diagrahm of were all the lines go. and check www.sor.com for parts, search fuel system and you should find it and also check www.cruiserparts.net and www.classiccruisers.com for the parts also. hope this will help a little!

If yours isn't a smog vehicle you can do what the old cruisers did and put a pin hole in the filler neck.

Thanks guys! Nope, not a smog vehicle (older than 25 years and its not required in WA). Pin hole in the filler neck seems like the cheapest alternative...

If you have extra ports on the tank the best thing to do would be to route a vent line to a rollover valve. A pinhole in the filler could leak if you roll.

You could drill a hole near your filler in the tank and mount an internal one like this one. Or I have seen externally mounted ones which you could run from one of the existing ports you have, but I'm not sure where to find them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom