Fuel Starvation and Capacitive Discharge // 97 LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The ECU has been suspect for a while
Why? I'm not saying the ECU showed any signs of deficiency. I'm saying that its more generous learning cycle covered for other problems.

You're *way* too quick to order parts after little to no actual troubleshooting.

This is my daily driver and I don’t have the luxury of having it inoperable for very long. If ball breaking is what I’m going to get on this, I’ll just stop updating the thread.

This is my daily driver and I don’t have the luxury of having it inoperable for very long.
My LX450 is also my daily driver, so I understand the need. I would be lying if I said I didn't have a spare ECU in one of my boxes-o-parts in my garage, not to mention a handful of other critical components that I have amassed over the course of ownership.
While I wouldn't have replaced an ECU in this situation without diagnostics, it is good practice to gather NLA parts for a vehicle you intend to keep.
You do you.

I think you should buy a basic handheld oscilloscope from amazon and start probing your injector lines off the ECU, if those appear to be fine then prob your fuel pump circuit.

Oscilloscopes are great tools because they are like a multi-meter that plots changes over time, so you can see how circuits are behaving. With that information, you are able to check the actual behavior against the intended logic as stated in the FSM.

This isn't ballbusting its the actual help that you probably need to figure this out. I understand replacing parts until it's fixed on a nearly 30-year-old vehicle because everything probably needs replaced mentality. But ultimately you could replace everything, spend 2k and still not have solved the issue. If that's the route you want to go that's cool, just realize we are trying to direct you to a less costly option that will probably resolve your issue faster.

You can see how I used my O-Scope to find my injector wiring issue here: Calling all you Diagnostic Gurus | SOLVED Stumbling on hard acceleration THANKS EVERYONE - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/calling-all-you-diagnostic-gurus-solved-stumbling-on-hard-acceleration-thanks-everyone.1234999/

I think you should buy a basic handheld oscilloscope from amazon and start probing your injector lines off the ECU, if those appear to be fine then prob your fuel pump circuit.
What exactly are you diagnosing? His "fuel starvation" issue was resolved with new dizzy cap, rotor, and wires. :meh:

Just an update here on my loss of power / fuel starvation issue.

The wire from the coil to the dist. cap (90919-13436) had some how become somewhat dislodged at the dist. cap. Corrosion and general $hittiness had occurred inside. Replaced the wire, cap and rotor and everything seems right in the world. I am now throwing a 301 (cylinder #1 misfire) code that I have seen sporadically in the past but not for a while. Maybe the ECU? Maybe an injector?

Getting a partsouq.com order going now and would like to also replace the spark plug tubes while I am doing the valve cover gasket, injectors, injector bits, intake manifold gaskets, throttle body gasket and spark plugs. The wires are pretty new and seem fine some and I will try to avoid that cost unless it turns out to be needed.

The next bit is cross posted here.

Anyone have a part number for the spark plug tube itself? I, too, searched using a popular search engine and was only able to find the gaskets that go on the topside of the tubes at the valve cover. There are some pretty sophisticated parts guru's on here that will hopefully stumble across this request.

I've got to be getting close to having replaced every damn part on my truck at this point... Right, right?
I had a Honda Accord that would "eat" distributor caps. I guess it was a common problem for them. Apparently they would develop a hairline crack. It would start and run great but, once you hit 2000 RPM, it would all but shut down. Thought it was a clogged fuel filter util I gave up and brought it to Honda.

If you have not changed the cap and rotor, try that.

What exactly are you diagnosing? His "fuel starvation" issue was resolved with new dizzy cap, rotor, and wires. :meh:
This
I am now throwing a 301 (cylinder #1 misfire) code that I have seen sporadically in the past but not for a while. Maybe the ECU? Maybe an injector?

Getting a partsouq.com order going now and would like to also replace the spark plug tubes while I am doing the valve cover gasket, injectors, injector bits, intake manifold gaskets, throttle body gasket and spark plugs. The wires are pretty new and seem fine some and I will try to avoid that cost unless it turns out to be needed.

This is my daily driver and I don’t have the luxury of having it inoperable for very long. If ball breaking is what I’m going to get on this, I’ll just stop updating the thread.
You’ve handled all they’ve thrown at you so far with outstanding grace. Let the show continue. With all the money you spend on tools you’ll use once in your life you can replace old parts that, as you said, won’t last forever any way. Not being stranded in the middle of no where is worth a truck load of new parts. Heck, being broken down somewhere AAA will respond isn’t how I want to spend my time and money either. Zero surprise downtime is the goal of very thorough and rather expensive baselining. What I see here is an example of continued baselining on an old car. You just got caught in a situation before the refurbishing process was complete. Is it ever complete?

ECU swap and about 10 miles on the road and a few on a trail. Seems to be running right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom