Fuel Startup/Shutdown Solenoid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been having issues with the mount location for the startup/shutoff solenoid - namely, the bolts holding it seem to break and shear off. Unbeknownst to me, on my recent trip to TN the mount broke again. The solenoid was leaning away from the engine and the broken mount seemed to manifest itself after I refueled, started the Cruiser to park away from the pump, and the Cruiser wouldn't shutoff when I turned the key off and pulled it out.

I popped the hood and noticed that the solnoid mount had broken again. It was leaning out away from the engine. When I pushed it up against the engine block where it was supposed to be, the engine shutoff. I cable tied it in place, it restarted with no issue, and I was back on the road.

On the way home, I hit a fairly uncivilized road-to-bridge transition which jarred the Cruiser pretty hard and the engine shut off. I pulled over and made sure the "temporary mount" was holding (it was) and was able to restart the Cruiser and drive without any problem.

Does this sound like a grounding issue with the solenoid body supposed to be grounded to the engine block with temporary loss of ground causing the solenoid behave oddly, or does it sound like the solenoid is going bad with the start/stop plunger getting stuck?

Also, can anyone think of a better place/way to mount the damn thing? This is the second mount that's broken due to vibration.

Temp:

Very common for those bolts to strip the alluminium threads out of the governor housing. See it on at least one bolt with every pump. Problem is mostly because they are too short, or people over tighten them.
Get yourself some longer bolts or Allen heads, and a helicoil kit, or just a bigger metric tap and larger bolts/Allen heads.
Put a couple punch marks to locate the original position of the aneroid, (or just shove it all the way forward when you put it on, that's what I do.)and remove it and your fuel plate(reference mark this as well, or again, all they way forward, fuel is power man lol) And stuff in a rag with clean oil or grease on it in to catch the shavings. Tap the two holes(or all 4. Might as well) and reinstall.
Sweet setup by the way. If I can't find a 13BT head I'll probably go this route.

For your grounding issue, it could be because the solenoid wasn't solidly mounted. Run a ground wire to the block from under on of the mount bolts. Also check your wiring to the hookup plug. Those solenoids do fail from time to time. If you can pull it apart , its done.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom