fuel spraying from fuel delivery pipe at cold start injector pipe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just replaced the head on my 88, all buttoned up, went to start and engine turns over but doesn't start.

After turning over a few times then releasing the ignition, fuel sprays out of where the cold start injector pipe meets the fuel delivery pipe. Quite forcefully.

Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 11.01.39 AM.png

The FSM diagram shows it simply as fuel delivery pipe - gasket (washer) - cold start injector pipe - gasket - screw. I've removed and re-torqued this a few times with the same result
Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 10.51.01 AM.png

However the instructions mention "Connect cable to negative terminal of battery" and I have what appears to be a ground connector dangling in this spot. So I tried connecting that as well (not really sure what this would do?) so it goes: fuel delivery pipe - gasket (washer) - cold start injector pipe - gasket - ground wire - union bolt. That didn't seem to help either, still spraying.
Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 10.52.00 AM.png

So I have 2 questions
1. What is the correct assembly order of the cold start injector pipe where it meets the fuel delivery rail with gaskets, bolt, and the ground wire.
1a. What is the deal with this ground wire, where exactly is it supposed to go?
2. Any ideas what could be causing the fuel spray when I crank the engine? Seems like it could only be this screw not tightened down, but i have torqued to spec several times.

Are the copper washers on? Mike

Is there a difference between the 'gasket' and a washer? The fsm seems to refer to those rectangular shaped washers as gaskets, which is what I'm referring to.

Yes, these are what I'm using
Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 11.31.59 AM.png

It might be time to meticulously inspect all the mating surfaces...

Agreed with above, or the fittings on your pipe are shot. Mike

OK I'm all fixed, and f anyone finds this thread searching:

The ground wire goes on the hanger on the intake body, not on the fuel pipe.

I had to torque the union bolts a bit extra, FSM says 14 ft/lb but 20 seems to have done it.

Thanks yall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom