Fuel smell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just a quick advice needed (yah right :p ) i get the occasional fuel smell in side the car, so far I had a leaking exhaust which was fixed and made it way better. its now its more unburned fuel smell. (I didn't see any fuel leaks below the car)

I checked and I found the charcoal canister line is cracked a bit (i did try to tighten it but its too stiff so barely got it back) would that cause the issue or could it be something else?

Also would I need to extend the exhaust pipe ? Its currently not sticking out and i feel it can exhaust in the cabin (shouldn't there be a chrome extension after the end tail pipe?)

exhaust.jpeg

The charcoal canisters fail and lead to fuel tank being pressurized.
Do you get a rush of air out of the tank when you open the fuel cap?

I did not notice, I will check here is the canister lines before fitting a clamp
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-17 at 1.47.21 PM.jpeg

Replace the hoses - they are available from toyota. I'd be also replacing a lot of other hoses throughout the vehicle. Hot climate, rubber perishes, vehicle is old...

cheers,
george.

I did not notice, I will check here is the canister lines before fitting a clampView attachment 3061233
Yeah those hoses are shot.
There should also be a hose coming out the bottom of the canister...don't see it in the pic tho could be there. It is the actual vent hose that runs along the inner fender well and stops somewhere around the firewall IIRC.
Given your proximity to the UAE, recommend just replacing the canister.
The hoses can be replaced with 4mm(?) fuel line from any parts place.

I would also consider replacing the gas cap and check to make sure the spark plugs are not loose.

Something is totally off ! I took the car for a drive yesterday around 38 Miles (mostly highway) and I used almost 75% of the fuel tank and had to turn sub on.

The car felt underpowered loud and was burning fuel like mad (there is a clear fuel smell as well very worried about that). I had originally planed to take it to a mechanic but that didnt work out so will hopefully do this today.

I will check:
  • Fuel houses in general.
  • Spark plugs (recently replaced)

The charcoal canisters fail and lead to fuel tank being pressurized.
Do you get a rush of air out of the tank when you open the fuel cap?
No air rushes out seems normal.

Something is totally off ! I took the car for a drive yesterday around 38 Miles (mostly highway) and I used almost 75% of the fuel tank and had to turn sub on.

The car felt underpowered loud and was burning fuel like mad (there is a clear fuel smell as well very worried about that). I had originally planed to take it to a mechanic but that didnt work out so will hopefully do this today.

I will check:
  • Fuel houses in general.
  • Spark plugs (recently replaced)

No air rushes out seems normal.
Was it blowing black smoke?

Using 20 gallons of gas in 38 miles, it had to be running out.

Look for a serious leak.

No black smoke and I stopped the car for a while but no leaks under it (well fuel leak there was a bit of power steering fluid)

Do you have catalytic converters on that?

How about O2 sensors?

If cats, they could be clogged.

Any "check engine" light or engine codes thrown? I'm sure you are watchin for that, just asking. There was a wiring harness issue (right side at the firewall, and another spot in the harness near the EGR valve) that shorted some injectors and would dump gas in to #5 and/or #6 if I recall correctly.

Do you have catalytic converters on that?

How about O2 sensors?

If cats, they could be clogged.
Yah I have cat how can I check if its clogged ?

Not sure about o2 sensor but the cat does have a wire connector from it.

Any "check engine" light or engine codes thrown? I'm sure you are watchin for that, just asking. There was a wiring harness issue (right side at the firewall, and another spot in the harness near the EGR valve) that shorted some injectors and would dump gas in to #5 and/or #6 if I recall

No check engine lights. I did notice the headlight high beam was flickering, would that be a tell tail sign for shorting ?
I am buying new electric cables and was going to start rewiring

Oh I found this when I was looking under the car, seems it was dangling and touching the exhaust.
The plastic plug is melted but i didnt see exposed wires i will need to take a better look but i think this is the Co2 / Cat cable ?

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-20 at 10.53.50 AM.jpeg

Oh I found this when I was looking under the car, seems it was dangling and touching the exhaust.
The plastic plug is melted but i didnt see exposed wires i will need to take a better look but i think this is the Co2 / Cat cable ?

View attachment 3063832
Yes, that's one of the wiring plugs for an O2 sensor. It appears melted and that will cause an issue.

O2 sensors are very sensitive with wiring. Check the harness and replace the parts and sections necessary.

Post a picture of your cats. You may need to take them apart to test if they are clogged.

Also check the wiring harness for the fuel injectors to make sure they are not continuously grounded. That will make them stick open and flood the engine.

Check your oil to see if it is heavily diluted with gasoline after using that much gas in that short of trip, it has to go somewhere. If the oil level is way over full then don't drive it or run the engine until you change the oil and figure out the excess fuel issues.

Find your ECU and take a pic of the part numbers to make sure it's the right ECU for that engine.

Any way to test the cat or exhaust flow with out taking it apart? I just did the whole thing (and melted my AC in the process lol)

I will check the ECU part number.

Here are the pics i have for the CAT
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-20 at 2.55.13 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-20 at 2.56.13 PM (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-20 at 2.56.13 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-20 at 2.56.14 PM.jpeg

Also check the wiring harness for the fuel injectors to make sure they are not continuously grounded. That will make them stick open and flood the engine.

Have no idea what that is or how to do it sorry XD .... is that the distributor cap that has the wires to the spark plugs ?

Any way to test the cat or exhaust flow with out taking it apart? I just did the whole thing (and melted my AC in the process lol)

I will check the ECU part number.

Here are the pics i have for the CATView attachment 3063890View attachment 3063891View attachment 3063892View attachment 3063893

Have no idea what that is or how to do it sorry XD .... is that the distributor cap that has the wires to the spark plugs ?
That "cat" if that's what it is, appears to be left over from the diesel. Not sure how they differ in design or operation.

Did we determine that your engine is a 1994 1FZ-FE?

If so you should have two O2 sensors. The 94 engines had side by side cats, one for the front bank, one for the rear bank.

You may need to install or find the second O2 sensor and locate both into the exhaust manifolds near the engine.

Please attach pics of the exhaust manifolds under the hood.

Injectors are not the distributor and spark plugs wires.

There is a round tube that runs front to back on the left side of the engine and there are 6 injectors that insert into the side/top of the head. There is a wiring harness that snakes under there starting at the rear of the engine. These plugs are known to be brittle and if the wires short out, the injectors (one or more) stick open and pour gas into the cylinder.

Pull and check the spark plugs to "read" them and their condition to determine if they are firing or if they are running clean.

Thanks @BILT4ME for the support (and patience) truly appreciate it !

Yes its the 1FZ-FE, I know the bonnet is scavenged from some where else :D

The cat was installed quite a bit after the car was changed from Diesel to petrol, It never had cat before that.

bonnet.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-06-24 at 11.18.57 PM (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-06-24 at 11.18.57 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-06-24 at 11.18.58 PM.jpeg

Found this link Injector Service - https://george4wd.taskled.com/injectors.html are those the ones you mentioned?

Thanks @BILT4ME for the support (and patience) truly appreciate it !

Yes its the 1FZ-FE, I know the bonnet is scavenged from some where else :D

The cat was installed quite a bit after the car was changed from Diesel to petrol, It never had cat before that.

View attachment 3063952View attachment 3063953View attachment 3063954View attachment 3063955

Found this link Injector Service - https://george4wd.taskled.com/injectors.html are those the ones you mentioned?
Yes.

Also, you have a vacuum hose disconnected on top of the intake manifold. It goes from a hard line near the front to the "gas filter" on the top of the manifold.

Do a search on here for "94 O2 sensor relocation" or something like that and read through the threads where they move the O2 sensors to the manifolds. I believe they remove the heat shields and there's a port in there that they can bolt into.

Basically use an infrared thermometer. You want to see a difference in temps between the front and rear of the cat. If the cat is the same temp front to back it is toast.

Just a quick advice needed (yah right :p ) i get the occasional fuel smell in side the car, so far I had a leaking exhaust which was fixed and made it way better. its now its more unburned fuel smell. (I didn't see any fuel leaks below the car)

I checked and I found the charcoal canister line is cracked a bit (i did try to tighten it but its too stiff so barely got it back) would that cause the issue or could it be something else?

Also would I need to extend the exhaust pipe ? Its currently not sticking out and i feel it can exhaust in the cabin (shouldn't there be a chrome extension after the end tail pipe?)

View attachment 3061201
Did you ever find out the cause of leak? my 80 series leaks directly on driveshaft at about 80% full. I have reviewed the inlet hose and it's fine... There is nothing else glaring. Ideas? Thanks. Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom