Fuel smell in cabin ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I know and have read a couple posts where people are smelling fuel through the vents or they are smelling it at idle etc..however my issue is I can smell the fuel while I’m driving. If my windows are down it will definitely come in and it’s pretty strong. There’s no fuel leak I can see from the tank or any of the lines, the fuel rail looks dry, all I can think is a loose filter but it seems like a stretch since I just changed it. Ideas?
88 fj62

EVAP canister...TOAST????.......Have someone run your rpms up while inspecting your fuel system under the hood could be a very small leak happening under pressure and evaporating before you can locate it due to heat of engine. In the past i have had an o-ring leak and evaporate instantly off the manifold making finding leak extremely tedious ( not on a cruiser but all the same) Good luck let us know if you find it.

I'd check to make sure there is no obvious leak. Most likely its the charcoal canister. In the FSM there is a procedure on how to test it and clean it with compressed air.

I had a similar situation: fuel smell that was worse with the windows rolled down. It ended up being a leak from the lines leading to the evap manifold, which is located in the rear passenger side quarter panel. It was especially noticeable after a left-hand turn, which forced more fuel into those lines.

Anyway, having the window open seemed to create a vacuum that made the smell worse. Good luck!

I have an issue right after filling up the tank, with a fuel smell inside, windows up. It doesnt happen every fill up. My hoses in the rear quarter all look solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom