Fuel separator routing on an '82-need line routing pics from 79 + (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

40Man

SILVER Star
Threads
i have a diagram, but it appears there is a metal hose running to the engine bay. Is this the right connector? If so, where is the other end? I can't seem to locate it.

I may just need to run a hose all the way.

TIA

20200617_121939.jpg

is this the diagram you have?

Yep. Just trying to figure out what hose 77002A connects to. I don't seem to have any built in tubes near the tank going towards the charcoal canister. Is that just a long hose going directly to the canister?

Just trying to figure out the chassis routing for the hose between "vapor separator" and "check valve" in the attached. Is there supposed to be a hard line, or is it a rubber hose from separator to the tank?

evap system.JPG

The metal tube in the picture actually terminates into the frame. The open end pictured connects to the charcoal canister. I guess its thru this tube that excess gas and fumes are routed.

Does this help? Google has a bunch of pics I just grabbed this one quickly

I think on mine it's a soft line to the check valve then it's a hard line under the vehicle which goes back to a soft line into the charcoal canister.

pic.JPG

Does this help? Google has a bunch of pics I just grabbed this one quickly

I think on mine it's a soft line to the check valve then it's a hard line under the vehicle which goes back to a soft line into the charcoal canister.

View attachment 2343244
Thanks. It would be helpful to see a pic where the check valve meets the hardline. I can't seem to locate it.

It's in the stock location under the passenger seat

Thanks, I have a feeling the 82, with its tank under the rear bed, may have a metal hose somewhere else (if there is one). Hopefully someone can confirm with a pic.

Bumping this. Hoping someone with a 79+ (gas tank under frame, not passenger seat) can post some pics of the line routing from the fuel separator output to the charcoal canister. Thanks.

The metal tube in the picture actually terminates into the frame. The open end pictured connects to the charcoal canister. I guess its thru this tube that excess gas and fumes are routed.

Not quite right. The metal tube that's bolted to your firewall support from your first pic connects to the rubber adapter on the bottom of the charcoal cannister and then runs down and ends inside the cross-boby support just below where the floorboard transitions to the 45º portion of the firewall. It just ends inside that support about an inch past the grommet in your pic. It's a drain in case too much fuel condenses in the cannister. Not sure why Toyota ended it there but likely some safety code requirement that they were able to finagle.

The check valve indicated in the diagram in post #4 is in the top of the tank inlet port. That's just a generic pic used in many fj40 factory service manuals regardless of yesr. You may also need the inline valve shown in bhsdriller's posts. If your model year has a separator inside the cab then there's still got to be a way for the line from the separater to get out from the interior and run up to the "to Tank" port on the charcoal cannister. Must be a hole there somewhere... plus the holes for lines running into the separater from the exterior tank. Sorry but I don't know the routing underneath for the '79 and later fuel tanks but "yes", you'll need to run a line from the separator to the charcoal cannister. As this line builds pressure to some extent I'd think you'll need to make a hard line for most of it. It was mostly metal for earlier years but does have short sections of rubber tubbing at the connection points.

If no one posts any pics start searching out undercarriage images from high-end (i.e. - overpriced) low mileage landcruiser sales ads like bring-a-trailer, etc. Hopefully you can get enough to make a reasonable facsimile.

Last edited:
{edit} I have the rubber hose coming out of the bottom of Charcoal Canister I left open to atmosphere. I have an aftermarket tub therefore never had that tube that terminates in body mount.

Here’s some pics from my ‘81 setup (again not certain it’s correct).

EDB74139-191A-4E47-821D-19CCD2EA5417.jpeg
25E80DA9-2E1B-4F25-B0AA-9B64B33C40EF.jpeg
F943C92B-BDD2-45D8-B4B5-08A99FC1A1BF.jpeg
53CB62DB-F459-438B-A9EC-550B0BAA42B0.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks, I have a feeling the 82, with its tank under the rear bed...

Uh, maybe this is your problem. Most 79+ tanks are still under the passenger seat but under the floorboard. If your tank is really under the rear bed then you've likely got and aftermarket tank... and no original.

Uh, maybe this is your problem. Most 79+ tanks are still under the passenger seat but under the floorboard. If your tank is really under the rear bed then you've likely got and aftermarket tank... and no original.

No, the 79+ tank is in front of the rear axle below the bed, and there is an access port in the bed to access the sending unit. It is OEM.

Your fuel tank is NOT in the cab, but under the front seats mid-chassis. Just like my ‘81

Correct, I never said it was (assuming you are talking to me?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom