Fuel pump- stock or electric? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,... and OKIE (I guess ur the only girl around here from what I've read),

I just found Ih8mud last night and can't believe I missed it for this long. I have a 70 fj40 and Im trying to decide weather to keep the stock fuel pump or go with electric. Anyone out there have any suggestions? My more than brillant friend Rolyat suggested I do both what do you guys think of that, stock with an electric back up just in case? OK I Explain it this way you just can't go wrong with both. Thanks

What carb do you have? That might help determine your choice.

The stock mechanical works great for the OEM Aisen carbs.

And there are several women around, some of whom, like Ige, are very experienced wrenchers.

fuel pump

I removed my mech pump and went to a electric about seven years ago. My carb is stock for a 78 2f. I desmogged it and thought electric would be a good way to go. I mounted it in such a way that with some spare fuel line I can hook up the mech if the electric ever failed. I don't know if what I did was needed but I have had no problems with the electric and I also have a fuel cut off switch now. Good luck. Bill

i went with an electric pump after my mechanical pump peaced out on me. i looked for a rebuild kit for the mechanical pump and i was told that they dont make the kit anymore and that i would have to buy a new pump. i'm not sure if that's true or not but it seems to run ok now with the electric pump. i know that if you put an electric pump on, somehow you need to wire it through the ignition such that when you turn it off the pump turns off as well. it is also a safety measure so that if your ever in a crash the fuel does not continue to pump and start a fire. i didn't do this....wouldn't suggest that you do the same.....good luck

real okie....corn bred and corn fed

I have rebuilt my F with a new stock cam from Specter. The Mech. fuel pump doesn't seem to work now. Anybody else have this problem?

I just bought an electric which if it gets here in time I'll be putting on this weekend. The reason I did this is because on some steep hills I wasn't getting enough gas to keep running and would sputter out. This way I can be more certain of maintaining a constant supply. If you get the electric then you will need the cover that goes where the mechanical pump was. I got mine on TPI4x4.com I believe it was 4.95 or something like that.

[I have rebuilt my F with a new stock cam from Specter. The Mech. fuel pump doesn't seem to work now. Anybody else have this problem?]

Is your pump arm in contact with the fuel pump lobe on the camshaft?
There were some fuel pumps that had spacers, and others that did not. Did you install a spacer on a non-spacer pump? That would take the arm out of contact range. Or was your fuel pump really hard to get on? If you had a spacer, and left it off when you reinstalled, that would put a major hurt on the pump arm.

Yes in fact JTFJ40 I was talking with my friend in the garage last night about that. We have a friend whos dad helped him rebuild a military jeep. They built it so that the mechanical fuel pump has a backup eelctrical so i guess if the mechanical one gets vapor lock or something you flip a switch and it starts right up withthe electrical one. I don't know how things work entirely on a fuel pump but i would think it would be more inefecient to push fuel through a nonworking mech pump? not sure just wondering. Anyway In my case , i might just be pitching the old one and not even bothering with it and just getting electrical. Besides vapor lock i would think the mechanical one would actually work best with my motor ( like i said justa hunch). Good luck

Okie = name given to those that moved from oklahoma to cali

Okie is this one of your friends you said screws things up worse in your other posts, I mean does he/she know what they are talking about?

Hes talking about the same thing your talking about. That was a while ago. I listen to my friends and respect what they have to say and then make my own calls. If i actually let those guys work on my cars i wouldnt have much left. Anyway, no my friend is going to Idaho State for Mechanical Engineering. Hes a bright guy but i think i have more common sense ;)

[Is your pump arm in contact with the fuel pump lobe on the camshaft?
There were some fuel pumps that had spacers, and others that did not. Did you install a spacer on a non-spacer pump? That would take the arm out of contact range. Or was your fuel pump really hard to get on? If you had a spacer, and left it off when you reinstalled, that would put a major hurt on the pump arm.]

No spacer, never had one. When I install it, it feels like the arm compresses. BTW I just checked records and it was a new billet cam from MAF. Could it be that becuase they are machined for both type of engines that my '69 pump won't work with it? I have tried changing pump although the other was nearly new.

I've spent a lot of time and money chasing things when the obvious was right in front of me - it happens to everyone that works on mechanical things, So make sure you check the basics first. Is there fuel at the input of the pump? Did you crank it enough to get fuel up to the pump? Is your fuel line clear and not kinked?
You can push fuel up to the pump by blowing INTO the gas tank (Be sure to be like Bill Clinton and NOT inhale) or maybe you can think of a better way to slightly pressurize a tank. When you work the lever of the pump when it's out, does it make those cute little poopy sounds? Does it seem to pump? If you feel comfortable doing it, get a clean soft dowel (like wood or nylon) and carefully push it against the cam lobe and crank the engine - see if the dowel goes in and out. Check your old cam to get an idea of how much to expect. The F/2F cams are interchangable, so if it's a good cam, it should work. Or you could call MAF and ask if they've ever had a cam that was ground without a fuel pump lobe.

You prolly already know this, but also be SURE to have a fire extinguisher handy when you're dealing with gasoline, plan ahead to catch drips from lines and be patient if some spills - clean it up before making any sparks and be sure you're away from pilot lights and other ignition sources. It happens every year . . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom