Fuel Pump Relay Cleaning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

what is the toyota part number for the FPR? just in case i do end up needing to replace it rather than clean it?

I don't know the number, but the beauty of calling Cruiserdan or any of the other respected Toyota parts guys on this board is that they usually know exactly which part you are referring to without the part number (and they give you a nice discount!) ;)

I don't know the number, but the beauty of calling Cruiserdan or any of the other respected Toyota parts guys on this board is that they usually know exactly which part you are referring to without the part number (and they give you a nice discount!) ;)

That is true and I have ordered from C-Dan in the past. I guess when I pull the part it is likely there will be a number on it... I asked the question while I was away from my cruiser.

I forgot about that write-up. To be complete, here it is
I just thought I would sneak in here with a couple of photos of the contacts on my FPR. Here's the top contact, which seems fine. It corresponds to the 'run at 12 volts during starting' position.
1602350443941.png

Here's the bottom contact (I energized the relay to put it in this position). It corresponds to the 'normal' 6v pumping configuration.
1602350580862.png

1602350598004.png

It's pretty bad. This relay is toast. Time for a new one.

I tried cleaning the contacts with a bit of broken dremell moto tool cut off wheel, which is thin enough to get in there if you glue it to a nylon zip tie.
1602367856147.png

1602367868917.png

Here is the 'after' photo:
1602367899081.png

[edit] When I tried it, it did solve the starting and then immediately stalling problem.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, when I tried it, it did solve the starting and then immediately stalling problem.
Sorry for the old thread response... Good timing though, I'm going through what seems to be the same issue. When it's under around 40 degrees outside (F) I get a little stumble immediately after startup. It gets worse the colder it gets, and under 20 degrees it will often stall and I will need to crank again.

The problem is mitigated if I jumper the fuel pump in the diagnostics plug. Seems that I'm not getting the full 12v at startup. That or I'm getting air in the system.

When you say "unfortunately"... Is that because you need a new fuel pump relay? Or did you mean to say that this did not solve the issue?

It is difficult to help as you did not state the model year of your vehicle. Suggest you update your forum signature with that information so it gets appended to every post you make.

In order to diagnose the problem the first thing you need to determine the voltage supplied to the fuel pump. Make sure full and steady battery voltage is measured at the FP terminal in the diagnostic connector at startup. Confirm that and report back.

When you say "unfortunately"... Is that because you need a new fuel pump relay? Or did you mean to say that this did not solve the issue?
Umm... I can't quite remember now. So I edited my post. It did fix the start and immediately stall problem. I've still got some issues. The idle is a little rough and I get a check engine light if I accelerate heavily. It resets when I turn off the engine. I can't seem to pull the error code with the paperclip trick. I'm thinking of taking it down to Iron Pig to see if they can figure it out. There are a few other items that need attention: non-working water temp and oil pressure, and the steering box might benefit from some adjustment.

It is difficult to help as you did not state the model year of your vehicle. Suggest you update your forum signature with that information so it gets appended to every post you make.

In order to diagnose the problem the first thing you need to determine the voltage supplied to the fuel pump. Make sure full and steady battery voltage is measured at the FP terminal in the diagnostic connector at startup. Confirm that and report back.
1993 fzj80. I’m going to do a little digging this weekend and I’ll check out the voltage. Thanks!

I was having an issue with my 80 not starting when it rained. After reading this thread I checked this fuel pump relay. I ran a hair dryer on it for a few minutes and it started fine. When it quits raining I'll check my wiring and the relay to see where it is getting wet.

Thanks to you all.

This is a great writeup. The truck did seem to run better after cleaning, but I still have the 2100 rpm hesitation. The search continues!

The fuel pump resistor is not "grounded". The case may be grounded. Pin 1 of the fuel pump relay which is the ground side of the coil but the relay is not connected to the bracket.

1702450461746.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom