Fuel pump questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am finally getting around to changing from the electric pump the PO installed to a manual pump on my 72 FJ40. I have the factory hardline that runs along the engine connected to rubber hose that runs to the electric pump. I found one of the original braided hoses in my pile of parts so I was able to steal the connectors that run into the mechanical pump. Nobody around here can find a fitting or make a hose in the factory style so I decided to run 5/16 rubber line and connect it to the hard line with clamps and use barb adapters to connect it to the fuel pump. I can not find a barb connector that goes from the 1/8 connector on the fuel pump to a 5/16 barb so I am having to "step build" it using 2 connectors? Is there a better solution? Also I noticed the design on the new pump is different and I will need a longer bolt. Does anyone know the thread pitch and size off the top of their head (the local ACE's thread checker has been stolen and they are waiting on a new one)?

Thanks

The bolt that retains the stock fuel pump to the engine block is a 8mmx1.25.

I recently put a new fuel pump on my '72. From the pump back toward the filter and tank I used brand new hose(not sure of the size) and hose clamps. The hose(2; length) and 4 clamps ran me about $6 and Advanced...

If you have access to a flare kit, I'd consider avoiding the stepping--at least if you have enough hard line length left from the pump to your carb... Fewer pieces, fewer opportunities for leaks.

If you are running carburetion, then a stock pump is ok. If the vehicle has been converted to TBI fuel injection, then a 15 psi out-of-tank pump is required. I'm only wondering if the PO had a reason to go electric?????

If you are running carburetion, then a stock pump is ok. If the vehicle has been converted to TBI fuel injection, then a 15 psi out-of-tank pump is required. I'm only wondering if the PO had a reason to go electric?????

Stock 1f. I have no clue why they went electric. The electric was weak and installed in a bad location. Got the mechanical in today and it runs much better (the pump wasnt getting enough gas to the carb at over half throttle). Time to retune and get it out on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom