Fuel pump question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is the difference between a mechanical and electric fuel pump?

Which do I have? And how do I tell.

Do I want/need one over the other?

Would a faulty pump provide lesser fuel economy/power?

The difference is that one is electric, and one is mechanical

The mech. pump is located on the side of the engine, not far from the distributor. It has an arm that goes into the block, which is actuated by a lobe on the camshaft. Everytime the camshaft turns it pumps the fuel pump. An electric one is just hooked to a couple of wires.

All fj60's came stock with a mech pump

All fj62's came with an elec pump, which is located in the fuel tank.

Perfect.

I have reson to believe mine is bad. I've been told Carter is the way to go. Does anyone make a bad one and should I just get it from toyota OE?

Per several members of the board, it seems if you buy a Carter brand fuel pump and open up the box, you should have an OEM fuel pump inside. You can find the Carter brand pumps from your local Checker or Advanced Auto Parts or I think from www.partsamerica.com. Make sure you either buy a new plastic spacer or re-use the old one. This is mucho important. :) Also make sure you replace the gaskets with new ones.

I'd recommend just getting the spacer ordered with the pump. I bought the Carter, thought the spacer came with it (it didn't) so I figured Id reuse the old one but it broke getting it off (old and brittle).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom