Fuel Pump Question

I replaced the fuel pump this weekend. After starting it up to make sure everything was OK, I noticed some knocking coming from the engine area right near the fuel pump. And yes, I did put the spacer in. I don't recall whether that knocking was there before, but I'm pretty sure that I would have noticed it.

Even with the spacer, is it possible that I installed the pump improperly?
And does the knocking noise coming from that area of the engine (whether the pump or not) indicate anything potentially serious?

You might of got a bad pump. Did you use a Toyota one? I remember using a gasket/spacer/gasket/pump when mounting it. If you put your hand on the pump while it is running, do you feel what you are hearing?

Hey there!
No, I don't really feel it. I can see the fuel line hoses vibrating/moving a bit, but the pump doesn't feel like it's shuddering or getting hit really hard.
I'm 99% sure it's the right part, got it from $OR.

I'm guessing it may just be that it's time for a valve job?
I will check the valves first.

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
Supporting Vendor
Did you get the old spacer/gaskets off the engine block? ;)

Yes, the old spacer and gaskets came off attached to the old fuel pump. The more I think about it, the more I think the noise was probably there before. Which is why I kept thinking that it was time for a valve job based on how loud and "clackety" it sounded during idle.

I guess I have to take a look at the valves & lifters next.
I'm like a C+ when it comes to wrenching skills, so any input would be helpful before I go tear it a apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom