Fuel pump pressure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1984 FJ60 thats putting out between 1 and 3 psi. I understand that the new specs for the mechanical fuel pump is between 4-5 psi. My cruiser when warm will hesitate violently "occassionally". I put a new filter on, I wrapped the fuel line (protecting against vapor lock) and the carb has recently been rebuilt. Still the problem exists. Would you say that the fuel pump is my problem and if so, are aftermarket inexpensive units suitable or do most of your folks buy OEM?

thanks
Mark

It could be your fuel cutoff solenoid. I have an 86 that has had the same "violent" activity until I bypassed the solenoid (rather, the mechanic did). He told me that the Emissions Control Computer was possibly fouled in its communication with the FCS, as I just put a brand new carburetor in and the problem persisted. Since he bypassed the FCS, I haven't had the problem.

all smog has been removed. SOR has told me that 2F engines will not run right desmogged unless a non-federal carb and dist. is put in. I am currently looking for such a set up but didn't think my federal carb would cause this kind of funky running.

OEM fuel pumps are not terribly expensive..from a discount OEM parts supplier it'd probably be cheaper than the "aftermaket" unit that SOR sells, which itself is actually an OEM w/o the "Teq" stamp on it.

Mark Mathews Creek said:
all smog has been removed. SOR has told me that 2F engines will not run right desmogged unless a non-federal carb and dist. is put in. I am currently looking for such a set up but didn't think my federal carb would cause this kind of funky running.

BS. Sounds like someone is trying to sell you a cab and dist.

Mark...

Mark Mathews Creek said:
All smog has been removed. SOR has told me that 2F engines will not run right desmogged unless a non-federal carb and dist. is put in.
The ICS (idle cut solenoid) needs to be connected to a solid ground. It is currently plugged into the stock harness and grounding through the computer. The emission computer is breaking the ground circuit occasionally while driving because it no longer has the vacuum switch signal it needs.

Quickest fix (but ugly IMHO) is a scotchlok connector on the ICS ground wire at the carb w/ a wire going to a ring under a carb lid screw.

Better fix is to unplug & discard emissions computer and jumper ICS ground to body ground at the gang connector.

Best fix is to install decel vac switch and hose and let decel fuel cut system operate like it's supposed to.

Thanks for the responds. Question: Where is the idle cut solenoid located and what does it look like so I can confirm thats its not already ground. Also, do my descriptions of my running condition lead you to believe that this is a function of the ICS or is it more of a guess? And about my fuel pump question. Would you still go ahead and replace it or is it ok with 1-3 psi.

mark

Mark Mathews Creek said:
Thanks for the responds. Question: Where is the idle cut solenoid located and what does it look like so I can confirm thats its not already ground.
The ICS is the only electrical device on the carb.

Also, do my descriptions of my running condition lead you to believe that this is a function of the ICS or is it more of a guess?
I don't guess. :rolleyes:

And about my fuel pump question. Would you still go ahead and replace it or is it ok with 1-3 psi?
Volume is more of a concern. Pressure doesn't mean much, as long as there is enough to lift fuel up to the carb. Test for volume and then decide.

One more, what is IMHO?
In My Humble Opinion. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom