fuel pump not priming while cranking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
howdy Folks!

94 80 gasser. Have pressure gauge at the fuel pump. I am having an issue with very long starts ( 20-30 cranks)
during the cranking, the fuel pressure is staying at zero until 2 seconds before it starts... as soon as the pressure starts reading about 15 it starts and it goes up to 39. (up to 44 while driving)

any thoughts? symptom of a relay or pump perhaps? new denso pump ordered a few weeks ago.

I would check the circuit opening relay, in the driver's kickpanel (it's the round one below the relay block), then the fuel pump resistor on the driver's fender, about a foot down from the top edge, towards the firewall (looks a like a big heat sink with fins all over it). If those two check out, I'd look at thee strainer sock on the bottom of the pump.

Those are the three most likely culprits. I'd doubt the pump is bad; if it works at all, it usually works.

I would check the circuit opening relay, in the driver's kickpanel (it's the round one below the relay block), then the fuel pump resistor on the driver's fender, about a foot down from the top edge, towards the firewall (looks a like a big heat sink with fins all over it). If those two check out, I'd look at thee strainer sock on the bottom of the pump.

Those are the three most likely culprits. I'd doubt the pump is bad; if it works at all, it usually works.
Problem solved ! It was the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail. now it builds pressure before starting and holds it after turning it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom