fuel pump longevity (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

3_puppies

SILVER Star
Threads
wondering what the average age or mileage fuel pumps are lasting.
I've got a 2001 with 248,000
changed one in a 99 with 280,000 last year,
wondering if the 2001 is getting to the end?

I replaced the original fuel pump in my '99 at 345k... only because I was in the process of installing a LRA tank. The pump was still quiet as could be and showed no signs of failure. I wish I had put a fuel pressure gauge on it before I replaced the pump, just to see how the new and old compared.

Mine failed at 240k (15 years).

I replaced the original '99 at ~310k, just because I didn't want to do it beside the road. No signs of failure, but the sock filter was getting pretty worn where it contacts the bottom of the tank.

Had to replace mine (original) at 168K on my '99 LX470 but am still going strong with the one in my '97 Land Cruiser at 332K miles.

Been thinking about replacing mine lately, original at 215k. But it's quiet and seems to be working just fine so why bother. Hopefully It will show signs of distress when it's ready to die.

I have no input. But recently picked up a 2000 w/ 280k. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to tackle the fuel pump before taking my family on a road trip.

I have had one fuel pump and one water pump go out in 26 years and 13 LX/LCs and a few miles between them.

Carrying a spare just in case I need it. 99 model 245,000 miles.

Hard to put a definitive timeline on FP lifespan. I think they loose some efficiency over time and don’t maintain same flow. Also human factors, fuel quality and environment come into play. For example , if the truck was driven near empty on a regular basis (frequent pump cavitation)- FP might wear out sooner than later.

My fuel level sender failed around 200k so I replaced the FP while I had everything apart.

I'll contribute as mine just failed at 219K, 04 LX. As far as I could tell it showed zero signs that it was about to fail, no stumbling, stalling or anything just sudden failure. Fuel pumps are cheap and easy to replace on these, that said either buy one and replace or have it as a spare as others suggest.

Hard to put a definitive timeline on FP lifespan. I think they loose some efficiency over time and don’t maintain same flow. Also human factors, fuel quality and environment come into play. For example , if the truck was driven near empty on a regular basis (frequent pump cavitation)- FP might wear out sooner than later.

My fuel level sender failed around 200k so I replaced the FP while I had everything apart.
The driving near empty bit... recently before mine failed my spouse admitted to me that she always waits til its empty to fill up(she uses the lx for work during the winter months.) Told her about how that was bad for the pump, she had no idea... couple weeks later, dead pump.

One of my past Japanese car's fuel pump would make a whining sound like a swarm of bees when the pump started drawing too much current.
That meant you had 15 miles to get to somewhere safe before the current draw would take out the FPCU. I once saw an 80 series with a pump failure and then the fusible link blew. I don't know if we get the hum of death as a warning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom