Fuel Pump Differences (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a '77 FJ43 with a '78 Aisin carb. The fuel pump is a one-in from the tank, one-out to the carb situation. As it sits, it's plumbed to the carb Colombian-style using the "whatever would fit" method (brass pipe brazed to an - I think - BPT fitting at the carb side. I got my hands on the proper Toyota banjo bolt setup (with the mini-nylon regulator inside), but it will no longer thread into the factory hole (they widened it to fit the weird BPT piece). Can I block off the return at the carb with this pump? (I'd delete the return hose at the tank.) Or is this the pump where that's a no-no?

I did search - and I swore I'd found the answer in the past - but I couldn't get the result to come up this time.

Many thanks.

Hmm to be honest I wouldn’t know

but.
I would just try and see what happens... I’ve made worse mistakes on my fj40 adventures

do you have a return from the carb now?
if the OEM stuff isn't going to work with the carb, how are you running the line into the carb?

The carb banjo with regulator is the return fitting that goes back to fuel tank.

The carb feed fitting is a simple double male, straight M12 thread into carb body, M13 threaded compression to attach 8mm hardline to carb fitting. Looks like this:

IMG_20210326_170121884.jpg

Assembled into inlet port on front of carb:
IMG_20210326_170539358_HDR.jpg

Thanks Jim - my fault, I should have specified that I was talking about the return line... I've got the correct line going in, I think...

Brings me to a related topic, though - anyone selling replica lines from the pump to the carb? Classic Tube is not, can confirm. (I ask because the culprit for all of my woes ended up being a rusty gas tank and I'm not super keen on rolling the dice with old lines after replacing it and rebuilding the carb (again).

No, the fuel lines are a make it yourself deal. The line nuts and compression sleeves are readily available at toyota. For line, buy 5/16 x4' fuel line from FLAPS, cut off the flared ends, bend to shape, cut to length.

To answer the original question: yes, the fuel return can be eliminated. But, why? It is a beneficial system, especially in light of modern RFG. Swap on an air horn with good threads if needed, then install return line using proper fittings. One less jungle problem to strand you in the desert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom