Fuel pump / carb feeding question.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

if no, then prime the line, put a clear line on the other Blow air in that line backwards with compressor, it should unclog.
I might, instead. Make a snake out of braided wire or a coat hanger and probe up the fuel outlet...

Ok so I pulled fuel lines to check where it’s still running…double checked dual solenoid (Hooked up correctly) and fuel dumps out the opposite side feed line ..
So here there’s fuel wanting to come out as I even loosen those 2 clamps (and that’s after the dual solenoid) so it’s running through the solenoid lines correctly….

8FE8F775-F5CC-4CC2-83E3-9F36B3047AB9.jpeg

Last edited:
And then here I have it completely disconnected and nothing wanted to come

So I think there’s a clog in the metal line between the two … both fuel tanks are full

40BB3441-F169-4A66-9929-350231924CAE.jpeg

And then here’s my dual solenoid set-up

wired correctly to my aux fuse box / switch (used 10amp fuse - not blown)

***all this has nothing to do with the car being off and no flow but wanted to say**

2C1242FE-E736-4515-82A6-628E6FAC284D.jpeg

837E49E8-3932-4471-B17A-BC9FA99E1FC5.jpeg

FE8D4CFA-1D96-47C2-9F83-CA134CEE3C07.jpeg

Last edited:
Question/curious....did you replace the fuel pump with what you took off? In other words, could someone have put a later fuel pump on with the fuel pump spacer? Older pump with a spacer won't work.
Put some gas in a small container, run a temporary line from pump to container, unhook fuel line from carb and see if you get any fuel out of that line.
Then you can work back from there.
Make sure you have good battery charge to get the pump moving.

I'm having similar issues with my '78. It ran fine when parked last year but won't start now, not getting fuel to the carb. I have fuel to the pump as when I pulled the line at my filter, gas poured out. I have a trollhole carb so no return. If I have fuel to the pump, the pump should be good, correct? I'll have to pull the line at the carb to see if its a carb issue or a line issue, but I only run non ethanol premium, so it that shouldn't be an issue. It runs fine off of starting fluid.

I have seen multiple good pumps go bad from sitting for extended periods of time recently. Thinking that gas is so crappy these days that diaphragms are drying out and cracking.

And before me this car sat for 6-8 yrs ina backyard in the sun … so I’m thinking hook it all up get it started & then jam it pedal to the metal and shoot that s*** out? Bad idea? Lol

but does everyone agree it has to be in that metal line ?

***addition*** - just realized I had crossed my return lines on the dual solenoid .. so they were returning to the opposite tank… fixing that now… could that have any bearing on what’s going on - i can’t think of how it would, but … ?

Last edited:
so like Pig said, run a piece of wire down the hardline and see if there is a clog

If the return lines were swapped, you might be creating a vacuum in one tank...

I would just blow air backwards through both lines to make sure the pickups are clear, then proceed.

So I pulled them metal feed line - no junk - clear - so then for s***s and giggles I decided to pull clamp off little feed hose coming out feed line of pollock dual fuel solenoid. no fuel coming out !

fuel dumps from opposite side of dual switch
so obviously it’s he solenoid. Per product info when power is off valve stays actuated meaning open but obviously that’s not the case….

UODATE : got under there and as soon as I move the fuel hose from an angle up position to down - the fuel was flowing … so my final guess is that it actually was the pump (which I replaced - without testing yet bec wanted to make sure it wasn’t clog in lines) … the brand new pollock solenoid just needed a little help through… so it’s actuated and letting fluid through 😀

now to put it all back together in morning snd see if my carb bowl wants to fill now.. I would imagine it would take a second for that fuel to get there after being emptied

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom