Fuel Pump Block-Off Plate - Permanent Removal of Mechanical Fuel Pump on 2F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone -
Got a couple questions about best practices for permanent removal of the mechanical fuel pump on my 2F. The Weber carb replacement with the electric fuel pump was done on my FJ40 before I owned it. They just left the old mechanical pump in place and capped the In/out gas lines to prevent dust grime. But, visually, it's always bugged me. Now, I'm working on the under the hood appearance (not trying for show quality, just better than it is now...). So, we just bought a block-off plate and would like to remove the mechanical fuel pump permanently and cover the hole with the block-off plate.

Questions -
When I remove the fuel pump, do I also need to remove the rod that connects the old pump to the cam?
If I do need to remove the rod - do I need to plug the hole in the block (where the rod pops out behind the pump) or will the block-off plate gasket be adequate for preventing oil from yacking out when it's running.
What about draining crankcase oil - does it need to be drained before removing the mechanical fuel pump?
Any other thoughts on the process/steps to do the removal and block-off plate replacement?

Thanks!
Brad

Remove 2 bolts, pump comes out as one piece, install gasket and block off plate. Done.

I prefer to coat the paper gasket with a very thin smear coat of black permatex rtv. Others will prefer a dry gasket.

No need to drain the oil beforehand.

Thanks - appreciate it.
So what about the rod that rides on the cam (ie powers the mechanical pump) - should I leave it in its place in the block, or remove it? Seems like removing it would leave a pretty good size channel for oil to flow from the engine block to the block-off plate, but if it needs to go - I'll pull it too.
Thoughts?

What they said, not much to it...but for those of the visual persuasion. 😂

Screen Shot 2023-04-29 at 1.44.18 PM.png

Exactly what I needed to know. Headed out to the garage now to tackle this. Appreciate you guys!
Brad

hi Brad ,

it seams you have the TECH here to prefrom this modification / DELETE job scope ....

- how ever , / and BUT ?

- do you have ALL the required OEM TOYOTA Genuine parts in-hand ?

- factory OEM HIGH CARBON steel detete plate

or

- some aftermarket or aluminum one ?

- the 2 bolts you will need are very very specific and unique to this MOD , so is the type of special OEM oil pan and cam shaft housing sealer ,

- the gasket MUST be the OEM toyota one m that is thicker called for on the micro fiche as well

- you say LONG TERM ?

- this and these are ALL TOYOTA Life time japan spec, service parts

- oh CAPPING the correct fuel lines safely is paramount here too

- i specialize in the wide range mechanical fuel pumps topic as a whole , SAFTEY prevention our end goal

- how and where will your FUEL OEM Filter be now located and what type and brand

- keep ALL this in-stock

thanks matt

image11111111111 - Copy.jpeg
pump spacer  - Copy resize .png
TANK.jpg

23921-60031  23921-60032.jpg

89016d7c485ec48b851ce5de4044d580.jpg

Didn't get to tackle the fuel pump delete as thought above - got called to duty. On it today!

About the old fuel lines and capping those. There is only one I'm concerned about - it's the "return" fuel line that feeds back into the fuel tank (serves to return un-needed fuel back to the fuel tank). Image attached.

Keep in mind that I already have the electric fuel pump on the FJ40 and have for years. So removing the old mechanical fuel pump is just something I'd like to do.

Here's my question today:
Does the fuel line coming off the mechanical fuel pump that feeds excess/unused fuel back to the tank need to breathe? In other words, does it serve a purpose after installing the electric fuel pump?
IE - If I cap that return line completely (ie it can't breathe) will I experience fuel flow issues after the electric pump runs a while and draws-down pressure in the fuel tank?

Thanks everyone!
Brad

IMG_0340.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom