Fuel Pump and Sending Unit 62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had a hard time getting rusted bolts off to get gas tank out and fuel filter out. Finally got them out. Fuel filter was original from 1989. Fuel pump and Sending unit also original, and I wondered why I was stalling out all the time and just had to count 210 miles from last fill up. All bolts holding two items in tank were rusted and most heads broke off. I am going to try and salvage the sending unit. Looks like it will need new connection on top that will attache to harness. Have new fuel pump to install. Question is: Can the two metal rings surrounding the openings be removed to be able to drill out bolts and rethread the holes? I have good pics along the way if any one needs to see any.

fuelpump.jpeg

sendingunit.jpeg

tank.jpeg

I'm thinking the rings are attached to the tank itself, they won't separate unless you want to weld them back in place.

for the filter, I assume you're referring to the sock on the inlet of the pump. that is more of a pre filter, there is a fuel filter on the passenger side inner fender.

Thanks. Yes I replaced the filter on passenger side of engine. That one was twice as heavy as the new one making me think it was full of crap. I am nervous about drilling out the broken bolts and going through the tank. I will try and be careful I guess

Get some Kroil on those screws, let them sit as long as you're able, then on the ones that are sticking out enough, get a large pair of vice grips on them and twist them out. On the ones that broke off flush, drill and use extractors.

Just don't use heat, because, well, gas tank.

Once you're able to get them out, use a rethreading tool (NOT a tap!) to clean and realign the threads. This is the set I have. It's proven to be invaluable over the years. Just last weekend I had to use one to fix a hole I started to cross thread with one of my transmission pan bolts.

Amazon product ASIN B0035533S8{creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584413735710369&psc=1

I would weld a large flat washer onto those screws and remove them. Maybe fill the tank up with water to discourage unwanted explosions. Drilling out broken bolts is a s***show at the best of times. Those screws are pretty small.

Thank you for all of the help. Fuel tank back up there now and all is working. all new bolts will make it a breeze next time. Now the issue is that it will start and run great for a few trips to store and will die at a stop sign or light. Family is getting tired of helping me push out of street and walking home. To my knowledge, the fuel pressure regulator has never been replaced. In fact looking at all pictures I can find, I still fail to locate where it is on my 90 FJ62. I assume I should replace at this point (300K miles). Anyone have a good pic or description where to find it?

This reminds me, since I'm off work for at least the next two weeks I should drop my (nearly empty) gas tank and replace the filler neck, gasket and fuel pump. The filler is starting to crack with age so I'd like to fix that before it's a problem and have the small hardware zinc and yellow chromate coated while I can afford the downtime. Gotta figure out which fuel pump I need though. IIRC there was a cutoff year between two different pumps used in the FJ62.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom