FUEL PUMP AND REAR TRAILER HITCH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok I know the title is confusing but i have to separate questions.

I ordered a new fuel pump today because my original was leaking..
so far so good... just waiting for it to come in the mail... but when I ordered it online it did not say wether or not it came with a gasket... then reading online I read some posts saying you dont need to use a gasket.. that doesnt seem right at all.. could someone let me know if I should or should not be suing one... and is there a link online that sells just the gaskets? i cant find any..

this brings us to the trailer hitch on my 75..

Did the 75 FJ40s come with trailer hitch? or do I have my previous owner from the back woods to thanks once again... thanks guys..

$(KGrHqVHJDkE9BKrkJbPBP(H!dQMtQ~~60_35.JPG
IMG_6230.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like an option from back in the day

For your fuel pump, you do need a gasket--depending on the type pump. Your pic indicates it's an OEM two port type Kyosan(sp?). If so, it needs a thin gasket.{maybe 3/32") The later pumps had 3 ports(suction, discharge, return)--on this pump(a non-repairable one, BTW) you need a spacer to allow the pump arm the proper contact w/the cam.(it's about 1/4" thick I think)
For the thin gasketed pump, you could make your own out of some sheet Garlock gasket material(available at Grainger) I've got one I made from that stuff--easy to send in an envelope--if you want it.
Hope this helps--

Yup just ordered gasket online.. Thanks for the help..
But just to clarify I do need a spacer? because when I took it off today it only had the gasket in between and no spacer.... is that an issue? should it have a spacer?

Im sure I will think of something else as time goes on...HA

Yup just ordered gasket online.. Thanks for the help..
But just to clarify I do need a spacer? because when I took it off today it only had the gasket in between and no spacer.... is that an issue? should it have a spacer?

Im sure I will think of something else as time goes on...HA

Hey DIGGMAN, Just wondering how your fuel pump fit and did you need a spacer? I have a May/1972 FJ, bought a Kyosan fuel pump, looks exactly like the on in your photo, installed it with out a spacer, as the old aftermarket pump didn't have one, and broke the rocker arm off as soon as i started the engine.......

I haven't gotten the fuel pump yet. But I think my my year I don't need spacer. I'll let you know.

While the hitch may not be stock for a FJ40 it may have been stock on early 4Runners and mini pickups the holes in the crossmember were stock. I personally do not like this style of hitch that hangs that low. A hinge that stout could easily bend the crossmember if it hit something offroad. A pintle hook was offered on a FJ40. While not stock I like the look of this one. It also has a 2" ball. http://www.nueratrailerparts.com/p-3522-holland-2-combination-pintle-hook-hitch-10-ton.aspx There are other types that have a replaceable ball that a smaller 1 7/8" ball could be used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom