Fuel Pump and Filter for RamJet 350 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OPMACHINE

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Gentlemen,

I am out of my wheel house trying to redo the fuel delivery system on my 1965 FJ45 equipped with a fuel injected RamJet 350. I have 0 expectance with inline fuel injection pumps. It seems like some struggle with vapor lock.

My question is in regards to the fuel pump, am I going to run into any trouble running a larger "premium" in-line fuel pump and filter? I am currently running 16 year old Bosch inline fuel pump and cheap plastic fuel filter on the low pressure side.

I am planning on using an Aeromotive A750 fuel pump with the recommended filter. I am assuming that this pump will be louder, but my concern is that this pump will be more likely to cavitate and create a vapor lock.

The fuel lines that are currently installed are 16 years old and were cobbled together with hose clamps. I am going to clean everything up with braded and insulated SS lines and brackets.

No issues with how the current system has performed: I am Constant Improvement vs. IF It Ant Broke

If you can fit an in tank pump it will be much quieter. I could hear my fj62 inline pump whine over the v8 exhaust. The in tank pump in my 45 I can't hear at all. Tanks inc has some good in tank conversions. Or use hydromat from holley and build one.

In-tank is the way to go.

if your using quality fittings i don't see why not. I added a rear tank in my 45 and have not reinstalled the front tank. In tank pump under the bed. Maybe in the future i'll reinstall the front tank and use it as a transfer tank. But, I have seen plenty of others with FJ40's use the front under seat tank with an in tank pump. I used AN Fittings, push lock high pressure hose and bulkhead fittings for hard lines along frame. The biggest fail most people have is not using the correct submersible fuel line in the tank. I've seen your work, seriously doubt you would half arse this.
On Chef's 45 we will use the under seat tank with in tank pump, we have temporarily plumbed the in tank pump in prep for Sniper. We used push lock flex to a bulkhead that goes thru the floor. Under floor hard line to another bulkhead. From that bulkhead we use flex to filter, then flex to the motor, hardline along motor to the sniper.
Others will weigh in, but quality fittings are probably safer than OEM.

Maybe this thread will give you some ideas.

In tank fuel pumps are kept cool by the fuel. Fuel return lines take any extra fuel and simply put it back in the tank. If you run return-less setup then pulse width modulation will control the fuel pump so it supplies the proper pressure.

Go in-tank. It’s the way.

Sounds line in-tank is the clear winner. I would prefer not to have any fuel in the cab especially with my kids in the truck.

Anybody want to make a nice 3/16'' aluminum fuel cell that fit behind the rear axle?

Anybody want to make a nice 3/16'' aluminum fuel cell that fit behind the rear axle?

Isn’t that, like, your profession

Also i get what you’re saying about the fuel tank being in the cab and people worry about that all the time but at the same time I’ve never heard of an FJ40 blowing up other then from being fired at by Abrams

If you do a correct job then there should be no safety concerns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom